PDA

View Full Version : turning to the danger zone

stevo
10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Hello All I'm new:D

With all the private military contracting like BLACKWATER,along with the other private contractors.And since there are few jobs left in this country we are forced to go where the money is! My oldest is going crazy because he can't get work. He's a union worker and they are too much $$,All the work is going non union.So he is SOL!!
So out of desperation he is looking to go to look at going.Right now were gathering information to get him on with one of the construction companies.:eek:so he's going to iraq to weld pipe while the bullets and bombs.THAT'S WHERE THE WORK IS!!!
That Government is the only one with any money and it's going to supporting the troops.And right now they are doing EVERYTHING over there!!!
The banks have stopped the money flow,everyday companies are downsizing:mad::mad:EVERYONE IS FEELING IT!
This info is now hitting the news A LITTLE trickle of information leaks out about what's really going on over there.

EireEngineer
10-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Here is a thought....Leave the Union!

stevo
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
he is

EireEngineer
10-31-2009, 01:04 AM
To bad he isnt a public sector worker. I would love to see the ranks of the last bastion of Unions substantially reduced.

stevo
10-31-2009, 12:06 PM
i completely understand ......and i don't disagree...this was just an example of how bad things are getting

EireEngineer
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
True true. I cant even get circuit boards built properly because all of the qualified assemblers have been laid off.

Out of the Box
11-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I cant even get circuit boards built properly because all of the qualified assemblers have been laid off.

Isn't capitalism just wonderful?! ;)

Just as a sidenote : I support the concept of a union as a way to protect workers rights within a capitalist environment, but modern day politicised unions do more harm than good.

EireEngineer
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Isn't capitalism just wonderful?! ;)

Just as a sidenote : I support the concept of a union as a way to protect workers rights within a capitalist environment, but modern day politicised unions do more harm than good.
Right, because I suppose recessions would NEVER happen in a socialized economy. Beyond silly.

Out of the Box
11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Right, because I suppose recessions would NEVER happen in a socialized economy.

I wasn't referring to the recession itself but rather to the anti-social and just plain stupid reaction of corporations to the recession (eg. firing their best workers because they're more expensive).

EireEngineer
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I wasn't referring to the recession itself but rather to the anti-social and just plain stupid reaction of corporations to the recession (eg. firing their best workers because they're more expensive).
Thats not the problem it this case. The drawback in production requests has caused many of the board houses in this area to either close, or to contract dramatically. So now when you try to get a PCB made you have to go through one of the discount houses that have less experienced labor. Its all a function of market forces, not stupid CEOs as you say.

Out of the Box
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Thats not the problem it this case. The drawback in production requests has caused many of the board houses in this area to either close, or to contract dramatically. So now when you try to get a PCB made you have to go through one of the discount houses that have less experienced labor. Its all a function of market forces, not stupid CEOs as you say.

You're at a better place to judge this particular case since it happened to you, not me. Nevertheless, I've seen some endless stupidity from corporate managers losing the respect of their employees because of it. Being a consultant can teach you a lot about real life business (as oposed to business in theoretical ideology)

EireEngineer
11-05-2009, 04:40 PM
You're at a better place to judge this particular case since it happened to you, not me. Nevertheless, I've seen some endless stupidity from corporate managers losing the respect of their employees because of it. Being a consultant can teach you a lot about real life business (as oposed to business in theoretical ideology)
So can running a business, something I have been doing for years. It also taught me how to spell opposed.

Out of the Box
11-06-2009, 02:28 AM
So can running a business, something I have been doing for years.

What kind of business do you own? Do you have many employees? Do you sell straight to end customers or rather B2B?

It also taught me how to spell opposed.

So now you moved on to making remarks about some minor spelling errors by a guy who speaks English as a third language? How pathetic !

Just for the record : I live in the Benelux and speak Dutch as a primary language. My second language is French (though admittedly less fluent than my English due to less practice) and my fourth language is German (my German writing is only very basic, though).

How many languages do you speak and how proficient are you in your second or third language?!?

EireEngineer
11-06-2009, 08:28 AM
What kind of business do you own? Do you have many employees? Do you sell straight to end customers or rather B2B?

So now you moved on to making remarks about some minor spelling errors by a guy who speaks English as a third language? How pathetic !

Just for the record : I live in the Benelux and speak Dutch as a primary language. My second language is French (though admittedly less fluent than my English due to less practice) and my fourth language is German (my German writing is only very basic, though).

How many languages do you speak and how proficient are you in your second or third language?!?
Well, I apologize then. Sorry, but I was a little cranky yesterday. Actually, as my screen name would indicate, I am Irish, and grew up in a Gaeltacht in Connemara, and I suppose that if we were typing in Latin or German I would be just as bad.