PDA

View Full Version : Aliens May Exist But Contact Would Hurt Humans; Hawkings

The Poet
04-26-2010, 03:52 PM
LONDON (AFP) – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425/sc_afp

So what do you think?

BlueAngel
04-26-2010, 06:46 PM
As if Hawkings has any more of a clue as to whether or not aliens exist than my next door neighbor does, but, apparently, he knows what the outcome will be if they do exist and visit planet earth.

He WARNS that we shouldn't have any contact with them.

Huh?

He WARNS.

What shall we do?

Ignore them and, hopefully, they'll go back to wherever they came from?

Since when is Hawkings' the ET expert?

His analogy between ET's, Columbus and the Native Americans is quite strange to say the least.

Almost like he's blaming the demise of the Native American tribes on the fact that THEY made contact with COLUMBUS.

Again, huh?

Oh, I see.

If aliens visit planet earth, just don't have contact with them and they won't rob us of our land; wipe out most of the human species and send those of us remaining to live on reservations.

This is the reason that most of the Native Americans were wiped out.

They made contact with Columbus, according to Hawking.

But, what if the Aliens have contact with us?

Obviously, the same scenario as I depicted above.

Thanks, Stephen, I'll take your advice into consideration.

writer1981
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I quite like some of Stephen Hawkings theories although I think he's totally wrong about this one.

It's more likely we would attack the aliens than they attack us. We can't last 100 years without a major world war. As a race we are always killing each other over materialistic items, land or for simply dominance over another nation(s).

Hawking makes us sound like we are totally helpless but there is no doubt that few space based nuclear bombs could quite easily destroy an alien mothership regardless of how advanced they are. Unless of course they could phase out of our dimensional reality while the nuclear explosion occurs.

I personally think the reason why no aliens visit us is because Humanity has most likely from the aliens point of view have a historical reputation for extreme violence, greed and cruelty. I think before aliens visit us we need to mature more. We are just seem still too much like educated savages.

I think Stephen Hawking needs to lay off watching all those Hollywood alien sci fi movies that involve aliens killing and/or taking over the earth. It's starting to influence his thinking and not in a good way.

FallaciesAbound
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
One thing that even a cursory study of history shows, is that when two factions meet for the first time, unless they are reasonably balanced in technology and skill, the weaker society will be wiped out. The chances of any alien society being more advanced AND benevolent seems unlikely, since they will have had to have grown up in competitive conditions just like we have.

I agree that Hawking is probably not the best person to answer a question like that, but that is the wonderful world of science reporting these days. Most science writers don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and are just passing through on their career path.

BlueAngel
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
One thing that even a cursory study of history shows, is that when two factions meet for the first time, unless they are reasonably balanced in technology and skill, the weaker society will be wiped out. The chances of any alien society being more advanced AND benevolent seems unlikely, since they will have had to have grown up in competitive conditions just like we have.

I agree that Hawking is probably not the best person to answer a question like that, but that is the wonderful world of science reporting these days. Most science writers don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and are just passing through on their career path.

I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Care to back up your opinion with "scientific" facts?

Didn't think so.

Because, obviously, scientific facts about aliens do not exist and netiher do any "scientific" facts exist regarding whether or not they are more advanced than we are.

Speculation is all that exists regarding ET's.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?

P.S. Hawkings is not the best person to answer any question about ET's and neither is anyone else on Planet Earth.

Reason?

Because there isn't anyone on Planet Earth who knows anything about ET's other than what has been "scientically" speculated which does not include FACT.

superted
04-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Blueangel, re-read FallaciesAbound's post.

"more advanced AND benevolent"

jane doe
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Escaping reality by over analytical ponderings amazingly still influences Hawkings.

BlueAngel
05-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Blueangel, re-read FallaciesAbound's post.

"more advanced AND benevolent"

I re-read it and agree.

FallaciesAbound said:

"more advanced AND benevolent."

And, your point would be?

superted
05-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Well my point is your misinterpreted what he/she was saying but I'm assuming my following explanation will not be heeded.

"I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Didn't think so.

Because, obviously, scientific facts about aliens do not exist and netiher do any "scientific" facts exist regarding whether or not they are more advanced than we are.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?"

Your entire rebuttal to Fallaciesabound what aimed at questioning why he 'knows for fact' that aliens might not be more advanced than us. My point is that he never said such a thing, his "AND" was implying he thought it very unlikely that advanced aliens would also be caring and nice aliens towards us on encounter - much as Dr. Hawking is predicting.

BlueAngel
05-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Well my point is your misinterpreted what he/she was saying but I'm assuming my following explanation will not be heeded.

"I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Didn't think so.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?"

Your entire rebuttal to Fallaciesabound what aimed at questioning why he 'knows for fact' that aliens might not be more advanced than us. My point is that he never said such a thing, his "AND" was implying he thought it very unlikely that advanced aliens would also be caring and nice aliens towards us on encounter - much as Dr. Hawking is predicting.

I have no clue why you feel it is necessary to explain another poster's comment to me and/or respond for them, but you do.

I think FallaciesAbound is capable of responding to me and, obviously, he didn't because my response to him was "right on."

Just because FallaciesAbound said, "more advanced AND benevolent" within the context of his post, doesn't equate to my comment being wrong.

You are confused as to what he wrote, not me.

In addition, you have not excerpted him correctly.

FA stated that he believes chances are that aliens might NOT be more advanced than us.

You forgot the "MIGHT NOT BE" part of his sentence.

You excerpted:

"more advanced and benevolent."

I did not address his opinion about aliens being benevolent.

So, again, you are confused.

I asked him to back up his belief that aliens would NOT be more advanced than us with scientific fact in order to PROVE that NONE of us has a clue about ALIENS because there are no FACTS that exist regarding this species.

Please provide an excerpt wherein Hawkings' states that he believes ALIENS would be nice.

Here is the definition for benevolent:

....marked by or disposed to doing good.

FA said, in his opinion, he doesn't believe that aliens would be more advanced and benevolent.

You are so confused.

superted
05-14-2010, 03:02 AM
WRONG!

Perhaps FA would like to explain....

BlueAngel
05-14-2010, 08:55 PM
WRONG!

Perhaps FA would like to explain....

Sorry, but I'm not wrong, you are.

Hence, the reason you have no rebattul other than to ask FA to respond.

When I'm right, I'm right and I'm right.

:)

superted
05-15-2010, 02:25 AM
No blue I just couldn't be bothered to explain my point a second time, it's so simple yet you didn't understand so I doubt re-explaining it again would make any difference.

I await FA to respond as once he agrees I'm right and your wrong, that's it! As knowing you we could go around in circles.

BlueAngel
05-15-2010, 08:52 AM
No blue I just couldn't be bothered to explain my point a second time, it's so simple yet you didn't understand so I doubt re-explaining it again would make any difference.

I await FA to respond as once he agrees I'm right and your wrong, that's it! As knowing you we could go around in circles.

Obviously, whatever point you're trying to make is not making a point because there is no point.

cbluemagica
05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
LONDON (AFP) Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425/sc_afp

So what do you think?

i think? no i know! wouldnt you like to?

FallaciesAbound
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Didn't think so.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?

P.S. Hawkings is not the best person to answer any question about ET's and neither is anyone else on Planet Earth.

Reason?

Because there isn't anyone on Planet Earth who knows anything about ET's other than what has been "scientically" speculated which does not include FACT.
Reading comprehension is not your thing is it BA? I said that the combination of being more scientifically advanced AND, I repeat, AND benevolent seems unlikely. The combination of the two. Get it now?

superted
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
"Reading comprehension is not your thing is it BA? I said that the combination of being more scientifically advanced AND, I repeat, AND benevolent seems unlikely. The combination of the two. Get it now?"

Hey Blue, I believe that is called checkmate!

FallaciesAbound
06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I think so. God, how I hate when people mis-read or misinterpret my posts. Though I do occasionally do the former. Damn dyslexia lol.

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Reading comprehension is my thing and I've proven myself to be an expert at it.

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 12:24 AM

Please, don't even attempt to explain it again.

It made no sense the first time and, I highly doubt it will make any sense the second or third time around.

Sorry, but I couldn't care any less that FA agrees with you and not me.

I don't go around circles.

I stop the circle jerk.

FallaciesAbound
06-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Reading comprehension is my thing and I've proven myself to be an expert at it.
Obviously not, since you completely misunderstood my argument above, but I sometimes do the same if I read to fast as well. I just dont do it so often.

My point was very simple. When cultures collide, the one that has the technological edge will nearly always exploit the situation. So, if aliens were able to travel between stars to get here, obviously they would have this edge. So, I find any "We come in peace" first contact scenario highly unlikely.

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Obviously not, since you completely misunderstood my argument above, but I sometimes do the same if I read to fast as well. I just dont do it so often.

My point was very simple. When cultures collide, the one that has the technological edge will nearly always exploit the situation. So, if aliens were able to travel between stars to get here, obviously they would have this edge. So, I find any "We come in peace" first contact scenario highly unlikely.

I have proven that reading comprehension is my thing.

I didn't completely misunderstand anything that you wrote and/or write, because what you write, for the most part, doesn't make any sense.

FallaciesAbound
06-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Funny, everyone else seemed to understand it. What part is confusing you and I will try to make it clearer for you?

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Funny, everyone else seemed to understand it. What part is confusing you and I will try to make it clearer for you?

Who is everyone else?

FallaciesAbound
06-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Who is everyone else?
Superted certainly got it, and since nobody else questioned me about it (and I am sure others read the thread, but you can look it up im sure), I guess its just you.

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Superted certainly got it, and since nobody else questioned me about it (and I am sure others read the thread, but you can look it up im sure), I guess its just you.

Oh, yes, superted got it so this means you are right.

Oh, please.

Who gives a hoot about superted or the fact that no one else questioned you.

I did.

That's all that matters.

You are delusional.

So, sorry.

FallaciesAbound
06-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Oh, yes, superted got it so this means you are right.

Oh, please.

Who gives a hoot about superted or the fact that no one else questioned you.

I did.

That's all that matters.

You are delusional.

So, sorry.
Well, I will ask you again, what part didnt you understand? Are you so stupid or delusional that you cant even say what you didnt understand? Its simple schoolyard rules:the big kid will always beat up the little kids. The same rule applies to societies. What is so @*%^ing hard to understand about that?

BlueAngel
06-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Well, I will ask you again, what part didnt you understand? Are you so stupid or delusional that you cant even say what you didnt understand? Its simple schoolyard rules:the big kid will always beat up the little kids. The same rule applies to societies. What is so @*%^ing hard to understand about that?

FallaciesAbound is mad.

RedAngel
06-13-2010, 08:10 AM
...and your the moderator?

Why can't you admit your clearly wrong here, like all the other big kids?

BlueAngel
06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
...and your the moderator?

Why can't you admit your clearly wrong here, like all the other big kids?

Yes.

I'm the moderator.

How many times must one ask this of me before it is understood.

See the title under my username?

What does it say?

Its says:

SUPERMODERATOR.

Why is it you can't admit that you're clearly wrong by interjecting into a debate between two people, which doesn't include you and attempting to instruct one of them to admit that they're wrong?

This is a "big kid" debate.

It doesn't involve you.

I suggest you go back to the sandbox with the pre-schoolers.

FallaciesAbound
06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Well, you are half right about this tiny debate .:p

writer1981
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I thought this post was regarding The existence of aliens and Stephen Hawkings view that they would harm us. But instead it seems to have morphed into Clash of the Egos. I have to say that many topics on this site turn into petty and pointless arguments that seem to have no relation to topic being Discussed. I still think Stephen Hawking is wrong and that we're the bigger threat to other intelligent life in the universe. The other thing that really annoys me is why do Space ships not have Anti Kinetic Shielding systems in place. I think that should have been incorporated into the Apollo 11 Mission to the moon before the space craft was even allowed to take off. It may have taken another 40 years longer to develop the technology required but safe space travel would be much better. No more worries about micrometeorites and space debris hitting space craft or the space station either. Also if anyone is to say that inventing Anti Kinetic Shielding is not possible, then look at the Atom Bomb.

Such a hideous and horrific weapon probably considered impossible or purely science fiction by many scientists at the turn of the 20th Century. It just goes to prove that humanity can create and overcome any obstacle if they are determined enough and/or are faced with adversity.

FallaciesAbound
06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok, you piqued my curiosity with the kinetic shielding. I assume you mean like the Inertial Dampeners on Star Trek? Since mass, and therefore inertia, are essential properties of matter, I dont really see how you could change that. Plus, I dont see what the atom bomb has to do with it, but Im not exactly Oppenheimer. Could you please explain how such a system would work?

RedAngel
06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Yea your right writer, lots of topics here degrade into blueangel going mad - talking nonsense and then thinks the whole world is wrong and she is correct....I mean....lol...HUH!?!

writer1981
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Something like Inertial Dampeners would indeed be what the spacecraft need, The thing is I don't think any scientist has yet tried to recreate star trek style shielding.

Also FA you seem to have a scientific background so I was wondering if you knew if Argon Lasers would work in space. Purely to use for self defense against asteroids when passing through an asteroid field an defend against possible hostile aliens.

Because I also think there are also intelligent war like alien societies like us as well. Who may also be around our technological level.

RedAngel
06-17-2010, 03:30 AM
"Because I also think there are also intelligent war like alien societies like us as well. Who may also be around our technological level."

Surely it's unlikely we'll ever travel much further than our solar system due to technological constriants, in my opinion. Therefore any alien societies that are intelligent AND travel here, will have technology (which would have to be beyond our comprehension) far in superior to our own and simply wipe us off the face of the universe if they so want to.

NOTE: I don't believe its very likely there are any intelligent aliens.

FallaciesAbound
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Something like Inertial Dampeners would indeed be what the spacecraft need, The thing is I don't think any scientist has yet tried to recreate star trek style shielding.

Also FA you seem to have a scientific background so I was wondering if you knew if Argon Lasers would work in space. Purely to use for self defense against asteroids when passing through an asteroid field an defend against possible hostile aliens.

Because I also think there are also intelligent war like alien societies like us as well. Who may also be around our technological level.
There is a good reason they havent tried: Even if inertial dampening were possible, we certainly are not anywhere near the techoligical level required.

Argon lasers are pretty puny instruments from what I have read. I dont think a few milliwatts of light is going to disturb a pebble, much less an alien ship. Better to develop high energy, high velocity plasma cannon instead.

BlueAngel
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM
There is a good reason they havent tried: Even if inertial dampening were possible, we certainly are not anywhere near the techoligical level required.

Argon lasers are pretty puny instruments from what I have read. I dont think a few milliwatts of light is going to disturb a pebble, much less an alien ship. Better to develop high energy, high velocity plasma cannon instead.

FA doesn't have a scientific background.

His father did.

Yeah.

I agree.

Better to develop high energy, high velocity plasma cannon instead.

FallaciesAbound
06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
FA doesn't have a scientific background.

His father did.

Yeah.

I agree.

Better to develop high energy, high velocity plasma cannon instead.

WTF are you talking about? My dad was a pipe fitter.

BlueAngel
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
WTF are you talking about? My dad was a pipe fitter.

Well, then, you must have two Dads.

TheSecondGunman
12-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Didn't think so.

Reason?

Who says secret government people haven't got information we don't? maybe they do know something about ET's and don't let on?

BlueAngel
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Who says secret government people haven't got information we don't? maybe they do know something about ET's and don't let on?

There is a large group of people who believe that the SECRET goverment HIDES ET's from us at various military installations.

However, since the SECRET government hasn't verified this as a fact, I stand by my previous comment.

What we think we know about ET's is merely speculation.

Whatisthetruth
05-12-2011, 10:50 AM
how silly you all are. dont forget all of the totally undeniable truth theres aliens.

Those totally conclusive youtube videos of course of reptilians!!

Its not just the way the light is glinting on people eyes its conclusive proof there reptilians!!

I actually saw a UFO once. like. 15 years ago or something. clear sky, sliver elipsical shape in the sky usual ufo sighting story lol. but it did suddenly speed up abnormally fast and then dissapear. oh it was stationary in the sky to begin with too. Pretty wierd I think. Someone somewhere has some pretty nifty gadgets

kerry
08-15-2011, 09:01 PM
As if Hawkings has any more of a clue as to whether or not aliens exist than my next door neighbor does, but, apparently, he knows what the outcome will be if they do exist and visit planet earth.

He WARNS that we shouldn't have any contact with them.

Huh?

He WARNS.

What shall we do?

Ignore them and, hopefully, they'll go back to wherever they came from?

Since when is Hawkings' the ET expert?

His analogy between ET's, Columbus and the Native Americans is quite strange to say the least.

Almost like he's blaming the demise of the Native American tribes on the fact that THEY made contact with COLUMBUS.

Again, huh?

Oh, I see.

If aliens visit planet earth, just don't have contact with them and they won't rob us of our land; wipe out most of the human species and send those of us remaining to live on reservations.

This is the reason that most of the Native Americans were wiped out.

They made contact with Columbus, according to Hawking.

But, what if the Aliens have contact with us?

Obviously, the same scenario as I depicted above.

Thanks, Stephen, I'll take your advice into consideration.

mmmm i think hawkings ment things like Germs or disease. a moon rock was found to have some kind of micro life form on it.