PDA

View Full Version : What God Wants

LaDominio
10-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Iíve just finished this book "What God Wants", and itís stirred up some very interesting questions for my mind to ponder about...

Anyway, the book concludes (sorry Iím spoiling the surprise) that God wants

NOTHING.

Iím not saying that itís true... But what if it is? What do WE want?

Imagine you buy a bunch of hamsters from a pet shop (that can talk and think like humans). You build a beautiful atrium for them to live in, with everything they could ever need within it. Then one day one of them turns around and says to you "what do you want from us?". What would you say? Obviously the hamster knows that it must live as a good hamster and love his fellow hamsters and love you, but do you actually WANT anything from them?

We judge everything by "what God wants". Think about it.
What if God wants nothing? Then what?

Bouncer
10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I remember those little pamphlets, called Chic Tracts, or something like that.
There is one that shows a little drawing of a throne, and says that we must get off of the throne of our lives so that Jesus can occupy it, blah, blah.

My Bible says nothing about relenquishing self control and self will to another person. In fact, it says the opposite, in my opinion: we are given a Spirit of peace and of self-control.

But the idea of turning control over to another sounds suspiciously like a conversion tactic of cult mind-control programs. No thanks.

What God wants is for us to seek his will in our lives and be obedient to it. It's like a marvelous adventure, not like dragging chains around with a sad face.

Just like Jesus said: if you put what I tell you into practice, you'll know what reality is all about, and you will have personal freedom (my paraphrase).

LaDominio
10-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Most of us act upon "the will of God". We do whatever we think God wants. My point is that religion is probably used to control us. It makes perfect sense doesnít it? Itís the perfect crime. Perfect terrorism.

God simply wants us to be free and grow. This is exactly what most of us are not doing.

Akbar
10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
You cannot be free unless you are God conscious. You become God conscious by incorporating the word of God (Jesus) in your life. God wants us to live up to human excellence. You cannot be human unless you are conscious of your humanity. When we understand what it is to be human then we can begin to work towards the human excellence that God expects of us.

peace

Bouncer
10-25-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree that meditation on God, the universe, man and the cylce of life, etc. is a valuable exercise and will ultimately strengthen your mind. Such is the practice of many eastern religions; notably the Tokagure meditations are practically all-encompassing.

Meditation is not by and of itself a relationship with God. Relationship is the difference between life and death.

rushdoony
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
One difference is that
people BUY hamsters, but
God MAKES humans.

Also a human buys a hamster to be entertained.
The hamster MUST perform i.e.
run on the wheel and make it turn,
and failure to do so could mean
the pet-owner is entertained by feeding
the hamster to a boa constricter snake.

LaDominio
10-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Yes, well either way I think we all agree on the same thing: Be like Jesus. :-)
That sums it up does it not?

Bouncer
10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
That's a pretty good wrap, I'd say.

I do not like the tactics, including deception, used by many churches to "convert" people. Conversion tactics which focus on cognitive dissonance, internal conflict, excessive guilt and fear, shame, etc. will not necessarily lead to salvation.
It is the Holy Spirit's job to "convert" people by giving witness in their hearts that the Gospel is in fact true. Beware the blunt tactics of those who would bludgeon you into acceptance.