PDA

View Full Version : Does Evolution Make Bad People?

rushdoony
02-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Does Evolution Make Bad People?

We sometimes hear that kids who watch too much violence on TV turn out to be violent themselves. This makes sense if all we see in life is a corrupted view of aggressive behavior. My own childhood probably contained an excessive amount of TV violence, but yet I didn't turn out violent. However, I also grew up in a home that taught right from wrong, and that the Bible was the word of God. I knew that good ultimately wins out and that evil always fails in the end. Therefore I had a standard against which to compare what I saw on TV.

Evolution is the same way in its influence upon people. Unfortunately, many do not have the Bible and good teaching to filter out evolutionary propaganda. Society generally just tries to treat the symptoms of violent behavior. Why people become violent in the first place however, is too controversial. Therefore the causes of the problem aren't dealt with in any unified manner. Likewise, the deviant behavior that may come out of a steady diet of evolutionary teaching is also treated symptomatically. Evolutionary philosophy as THE cause of much of today's deviant behavior is just not considered.

For example, we surmise that one natural result that comes out of a belief in naturalistic evolution is the tendency to put less value on human life than someone who believes man was created by a special act of God. This is because that person believes that there is nothing special about a human being. People are just accidental biological products made from the same slime that produced cockroaches. But if God is our creator, then we know that all people are our brothers and sisters, and we treat them accordingly.

How does an evolutionist having "less value for human life" manifest itself? For many evolutionists this may simply mean a lack of consideration for others, such as when in traffic or the workplace. For evolutionists who are more strongly influenced by their evolutionary belief, they may feel justified in using other people for selfish gain, such as in lying, fraud, or sexual exploitation. Still others - for the same reason - may feel no guilt in the abortion of unborn babies. And for the few in history who really lived up to their evolutionary-based philosophy, they felt entirely justified in the extermination of many thousands of people - all because they believed that evolution justifies such behavior.

But you and I both know many people who are evolutionists who are not bad people. So how can evolution be bad? Some of them are even more moral than some Christians I have know! I am glad most evolutionists are good people. That means there is still hope for them and us. If an evolutionist really believed what his philosophy taught, he would be such a clear and present danger to society that nearly everyone - even other evolutionists - would recognize the menace of evolution.

I remember once talking to a young husband and wife who believed in naturalistic evolution. They seemed to be very upright moral people. So I asked them why that was so. To make a long story short, they admitted that they had never given it much thought, but it probably could be attributed to the way they were raised and the influence of American Midwestern culture.

I pointed out that both their upbringing, and the American culture that they lived in were founded upon a belief in God as the Creator. If all that they had were parents and a country that new nothing but naturalistic evolution, then for sure they would not be standing in front of me as upright and moral people. The kindness and thoughtfulness that we take for granted in the people who surround us every day can not come out of a vacuum; it must come directly or indirectly from a belief in God.

Evolution's influence on morality is not always obvious and may come from unexpected sources. Before I became a Christian, I went to the minister of the church that I was attending and asked him for an explanation for the great ages that the Bible seemed to be giving to the Bible characters in the early chapters of Genesis. He said that maybe a person's age in those days were counted by the revolution of the moon around the earth rather than the earth around the sun. I went home and studied that explanation and found that it didn't fit in with other biblical statements, especially since it would make people in that day having children at 4 or 5 years of age.

I think that this minister was a very moral and dedicated Christian. But he also probably was somewhat negatively influenced by Biblical Criticism and the philosophy of evolution which helped spawn it. This causes people to conclude that if something in the Bible doesn't jive with what scientists believe, then it must either be wrong and therefore rejected; or it should be reinterpreted in the light of science so that it will be made understandable.

When people searching for answers, this type of explanation doesn't cause them to put much faith in the historicity of the Bible! But this minister - and many Christians - try to explain Biblical difficulties away because they perceive them as stumbling blocks to belief - when in actuality, the miracles and difficulties in the Bible are the very things that make it unique and most certainly written by God!

So to answer the original question, "Does evolution make bad people?", the answer is yes, if that philosophy is not countered, or at least tempered, by the correct view of origins. And wouldn't we expect that any incorrect view of life would eventually lead to damaging behavior? Whether it is a warped view about money and material possessions, or an incorrect understanding of the law of gravity, not believing the right things can eventually harm us and others.

But I don't want to leave the impression to our evolutionist friends that Christians can't be bad. A reality check shows that everyone is subject to sin. The difference with Christians however is that their sin is generally the result of choosing to ignore what God has said on a matter. Whereas with an unbeliever, their sin is a result of choosing not to believe what God has said on a matter.

In looking back at my childhood, I now see some things that molded my personality that I could not see then. If I can recognize some of these bad influences, then I can prevent them from swaying me. And in looking back at the history of the United States and the world, we can also now see some of the incorrect notions that people have had, and the erroneous philosophies by which people lived.

All of these errors of belief have had a negative impact. But the doctrine that teaches that everything is the result of evolution is especially pernicious because the belief is so widespread in the world and the consequences remains unrecognized. When people do begin to see it for what it is, then something can be done to correct it.

http://www.worldbydesign.org/articles/implications/implic003.html

Ahmad
02-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Peace,

"Does Evolution Make Bad People?"

-I don't think external influences can change people.
Education, environment, dominant culture, or TV, peer pressure, scientific theories..etc have no effect on people, i know it sounds strange but i believe it's the truth. For example, if Hitler was born and raised in another country, would he have shown a more gentle nature? what if Hitler and Martin Luther King switched environments!

I tend to believe that everyone is inclined by nature (which depends on his initial choice of God or no god) to be drawn to either evil or good. Which means that the theory of evolution, the rotation of the earth as well as all the mind control schemes don't work except with the wicked.

As for the righteous, put them in the worst environment and i believe they will not be polluted by it even in a thousand years.

That is not to say that we don't have to fight the wrong theories, and evil environments.

For the truth about evolution, feel free to read this article by the messenger Rashad Khalifa,

Evolution: Devinely controlled (http://www.submission.org/suras/app31.html)

P.S: I am not affiliated with the above website.

rushdoony
02-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Ahamd, You wrote:

Peace,

"Does Evolution Make Bad People?"

-I don't think external influences can change people.
Education, environment, dominant culture, or TV, peer pressure, scientific theories..etc have no effect on people, i know it sounds strange but i believe it's the truth. For example, if Hitler was born and raised in another country, would he have shown a more gentle nature? what if Hitler and Martin Luther King switched environments!
----------------------------------------------
Ahmad,

I definitely think external infuences can change people. For instance a person could be exposed to a good book or website and substantially improve ( change )
their moral character from evil to good.
I'm sure your website is written with
the intention of changing people
for the better.
Another example - A child with a strong influence
of a good father will be much better off
than the same child raised without a father presence. I could give 1001 other examples
showing the incorrectness of the view expressed in the sentence:

"-I don't think external influences can change people.
Education, environment, dominant culture, or TV, peer pressure, scientific theories..etc have no effect on people,"

"For example, if Hitler was born and raised in another country, would he have shown a more gentle nature"?

Most probably 99.9999% for sure YES.

So, Ahmad, I think you meant something other than
what you wrote because you're too smart
to write something that is obviously false.

Signed Rushdoony

Ahmad
02-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Peace,

I stick to my opinion, as for my website, it is not intended to "change" people, and by change here i mean : changing from an evil person to a righteous person. All i do is reminding people, of what? of the truth inside them that may have been forgotten. The righteous will remember and take heed, as for the guilty, no matter how profound the proofs i present, they won't believe.

What i wanted to say is that, enviromental influences are minimal. God designs our environments to bring the worst or the best of us, He knows already our inner most convictions and thus tailors the test accordingly.

Hitler was sent to this specific place and time to bring out his evil nature, if he was born in another country, he would have shown the same wickedness in another form.

As for a free person, he wouldn't conform with evil, no matter how extreme an environment you put him in. A free person doesn't fit in, he rather waits till he finds an environment that fits in with his personality.

Otherwise, if we say the genes, environment, TV, commercials affect everybody equally, then we are negating the soul and free will, which are prerequisites for the test and judgment.

A good father could certainly enhance his son's character, but he can't change it!