PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any experience with abstinence and spiritual discipline?

Thumper
12-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I read something interesting off of GLP a few days ago talking about abstinence and its benefits. At the moment I've abstained from eating meat and a few other things, and so far it feels like whereas before I always went 'with the flow' and was beholden to my impulses, I now feel quite different.

I used to be in a state of sleepwalking, where my mind was always somewhere removed from what I was engaged in. Now, perhaps because I'm going 'against the flow', things seem more clear. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep this up, but this active resistance feels like lifting weights for the mind and spirit.

Certainly the eastern religions also use abstinence for 'higher consciousness'(whatever that means) as do monks, so I'm quite intrigued. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it, but I thought I would share.

Does anyone have a similar experience? :-P

rushdoony
12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Just found this:
------------------------------

Fasting is the most powerful spiritual discipline of all the Christian disciplines. Through fasting and prayer, the Holy Spirit can transform your life.

Fasting and prayer can also work on a much grander scale. According to Scripture, personal experience and observation, I am convinced that when God's people fast with a proper Biblical motive-seeking God's face not His hand-with a broken, repentant, and contrite spirit, God will hear from heaven and heal our lives, our churches, our communities, our nation and world. Fasting and prayer can bring about revival - a change in the direction of our nation, the nations of earth and the fulfillment of the Great Commission.

The awesome power can be released through you as you fast through the enabling of the Holy Spirit.
Fasting is one of the most neglected spiritual admonitions. In fact, it has been ignored for so long that it is difficult to find information on the "how-to's" of this life-changing experience. When I first undertook an extended fast, I had a difficult time finding information on the nature of a Biblical fast, how to start, what to expect physically and spiritually, and how to terminate a fast.

These pages are designed to answer your practical questions about fasting and ease any concerns you might have. On this web site you will learn:

Why you should fast.
How to fast safely
How long and what type of fast is right for you
How to prepare yourself spiritually and physically
How to manage your schedule while fasting
How to deal with the responses of friends and loved ones
How to make your spiritual experience the best it can be
How to maintain nutritional balance and health from beginning to end (including specific juice and broth recipes)
What physical benefits to expect
How to finish your fast and return to your normal schedule in a HEALTHY way
I want to be of help to you so I will be speaking to you from these pages at various points in the study. I have completed five 40-day fasts. I want to share with you what I have learned and what has helped me. Whether you hold a 1-day fast or an extended 40-day fast, I pray that our Lord's most wonderful love and blessings will be poured out on you as you take this exciting step of faith.
http://www.billbright.com/howtofast/

Draken
12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Thumper!

Check out www.stevepavlina.com especially his articles on Intention-Manifestation. But really all his stuff is relevant to your "experimentation" with ascesis.

LaDominio
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Thumper wrote:
this active resistance feels like lifting weights for the mind and spirit.

Certainly the eastern religions also use abstinence for 'higher consciousness'(whatever that means) as do monks, so I'm quite intrigued. I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it, but I thought I would share.

Does anyone have a similar experience? :-P

Yes, abstinence is one kind of the many exercises and tests that one can apply to the mind. I abstain from many things (television, materialism, lust, hatred, and there’s a few others that I need to add to the list), but there are also ‘tests’ which I put myself through, for example-if I am told that there is a demon waiting for me around the corner, instead of taking a different route, I would rather confront it head-on. I see it ‘if a demon, no matter how dire, can stop me, then what good am I in these interesting times?’ If each day you fight a lion, one day you will match its strength.

Thumper
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Does abstinence have anything to do with 'living in the moment'? That's something the Bhuddists say.

And you can't go wrong with King Solomon:

"He that ruleth his spirit (is greater) than he that taketh a city." Proverbs 16:32

nohope187
12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
I abstain from TV, but not movies. I abstain from women, but only because I can't get any right now. I most definitely abstain from eating pork or shellfish because it's unclean and makes me sick when I've tried eating it in the past. I abstain from alcohol and only drink on my birthday or special occasion depends on the circumstances. I'll add more if I can think of it later. :-P

Thumper
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
i think the idea is not to just abstain for health reasons, but to deny instant gratification. this constant re-assertion of 'control' or mastery over ones impulses is supposed to give us clarity.

Ahmad
12-08-2005, 02:42 AM
peace be upon you,

Controlling oneself is the very core of the religion of God, Submission.

The test entails that a human as well as a Jinn soul is assigned to every new born, the Jinn (a descendant of Satan, but not necessarily evil) will constantly try to take over, the Human must resist and force his Jinn companion into submission to God's design (Satan was commanded to serve Adam and follow his lead, and not vice versa).

It is this state of going with the flow (some call it the Alpha state) that we are warned of in the scriptures, since when we do follow Satan's representative (the Jinn companion) and act upon his whispers, we end up making the wrong decisions because of developing bonds with the things and people that satan uses to bind us in slavery.

"Blessed is the man who endures temptation: for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1-12

Quran [79:40] As for the one who reverenced the majesty of his Lord, and enjoined the self from sinful lusts.

[79:41] Paradise will be the abode.

It is all about this internal power struggle, none can enter the kingdom of Heaven except those who control themselves (as much as they can), without falling into the extremes of total abstinense (e.g: hermitism) or self indulgence , God sent us the scripture to clarify the system through which we can balance ourselves.

Thumper
12-08-2005, 03:20 AM
what's wrong with hermitism?

Ahmad
12-08-2005, 06:05 AM
peace,

Hermitism is an extreme, extremes are from Satan. A hermit prefers to leave the exam paper blank and waits outside the classroom hoping that it will just be answered by itself if he kept the vigil outside!

On the other hand someone may answer 10 copies of the same exam paper, yet with the wrong answers!. Neither of the two extremes can redeem us, the test that we must confront is to join the society, get married, work..etc without ever forgetting that the Lord alone is the source of all power, only when we really understand this fact will we be able to control ourselves. Thus complete abstinence or indulgence is unrighteous.

Qur'aan [57:27] Subsequent to them, we sent our messengers. We sent Jesus the son of Mary, and we gave him the Injeel (Gospel), and we placed in the hearts of his followers kindness and mercy. But they invented hermitism which we never decreed for them. All we asked them to do was to uphold the commandments approved by GOD. But they did not uphold the message as they should have. Consequently, we gave those who believed among them their recompense, while many of them were wicked.

truebeliever
12-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Abstinence when it is ANOTHER attempt by the ego to suppress Mother Nature and be in "control" is doomed to failure. We get "wise men" who bugger their young adherents and various forms of neurotic/psychotic compensations.

I have been celebate for 4 1/2 years. It was not a plan, it just turned out that way.

You know you've grown up when you can put your passions somewhere else other than your cock. The most base form of creativity.

The more "oppressed" and narrowly structured a society the more it will think with their cocks and pussies.

My advice is to fuck till the cows come home. Accept the consequences of your actions and get over it. You will then become a useful member of society.

Anyone who thinks they will attain anything other than sore balls from abstaining needs their head read. It is a simple attempt at control and the manifestation of an ego shit scared of loneliness and despair.

Ahmad
12-09-2005, 02:29 AM
peace again Thumper,

I forgot to mention that in Submission we practice some forms of abstinence (religius duties) for example, once a year we refrain of eating, drinking and sex (one month a year, in Ramadan the 9th month of the lunar Submitter's Hijri calendar, from dawn to dusk each day).

Besides this once a year self-control training, we also abstain from sex before marriage, pre marital sex is absolutely prohibited.

Also to sever the bonds with money we give an obligatory charity of (2.5% of whatever income we recieve, the day we recieve it) to the poor.

So as you can see these practices are designed to bring you closer to God without imposing any hardship upon you (unlike hermitism, vegetarianism..etc).

marypopinz
02-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Abstinence is good in my books.

Teaches your mind that your spirit is in charge of the show and not the other way around.

The mind and body wants and the spirit and answers "'howse 'bout nahhhh."

It's more than mind over matter. It's bringing your consciousness into effect on different levels and kind of uniting and unifying all aspects of oneself.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone here but it makes sense to me.

Sometimes the mind needs to be reminded that lust and greed and other desires are not really a necessity of life. Fasting brings that theory down to a very basic level.

When you are hungry, it doesn't matter if you are wearing Gucci shoes or your doctor husband is screwing his nurse... food and not bullshit is the sustenance of life.

Good food is also a point to be considered along with fasting. The body does not need half the crap we ingest and fasting is a healthy way to place that thought into practice after a fast.

I often fast and pray. It's a part of my life i guess. When i really want something to happen i will not eat and pray lots. Something always happens - maybe not exactly how i would have planned or foresaw and ... fasting has my vote.

I could go on and i won't. There are healthy desires and their are sick urges... as a human being it is up to the individual to control, guide and differentiate between the two.

My two cents.

mary xxxx

Also i would like to add that good healthy fucking between consenting adults is a great thing... it's the sickness and perversion of society that is making this normal natural act fucked.

LaDominio
02-06-2006, 05:58 AM
marypopinz wrote:
Also i would like to add that good healthy fucking between consenting adults is a great thing... it's the sickness and perversion of society that is making this normal natural act fucked.

"Fucking" is a satanic act. It’s a 'screw you God' gesture. The Devil invented it.

Big D, he's the president of humankind, and so it makes sense why 'fucking' is promoted as a natural act.

Few people really know what it is to make love anymore.

earthspirit
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
First off, we all (especially us Americans) need to abstain from casual and glut eating. We should eat only to be fed, like nature intended.
And, this should be all-natural foods. Fresh from nature. This would then bring us into detox. And boy, do our bodies need that!

Then, we can focus on 'giving up' some of our 'garbage-type' habits and routines.

Then, we can focus on working on addictions.

I'm sure if we tried, we would be closer to our origin: spirit. We would be in closer knowledge of our creator.

If we were to try to eliminate our earthly-gained habits, routines, addictions--and add prayer/meditation,----would it also be possible for the brain to open up its unused cells?

Just wondering.

marypopinz
02-22-2006, 03:48 AM
I would agree with you chick. Wholeheartedly.