PDA

View Full Version : More psy-ops: French crackdown on 'racist soup'

Thumper
01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4644766.stm

Charity groups with far-right links serving pork soup to homeless people face a crackdown by French officials.

Protesters have accused the groups of deliberate discrimination against Jews and Muslims, who do not eat the meat.

Strasbourg officials have banned the hand-outs and police in Paris have closed soup kitchens in an effort to avert racial tension.

The charities have defended offering what they call traditional cuisine to French and European homeless people.

The groups, operating in cities across France and neighbouring Belgium, are not formally linked but are associated with a small far-right organisation called Bloc Identitaire.

'Racial tensions'

Identity Soup, as it has been dubbed by its chefs, was banned in Strasbourg this month after officials ruled it could lead to public disorder.

"Schemes with racial subtexts must be denounced," Strasbourg's mayor Fabienne Keller said.

Although no ban exists in Paris, police have closed soup kitchens in the capital's Montparnasse and Gare de l'Est train stations on administrative grounds.

Volunteers were ordered to re-seal soup containers on the basis they did not have the necessary permits to distribute food.

Thumper
01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
thump

Marsali
01-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't know, but it seems unlikely that the people who make the soup have a racist agenda, but then there don't seem to be any quotes from the soupmaker group, so we don't really know their persepctive.
Should a private charity group be compelled to cater to specific ethnic needs? Maybe if the majority of people who eat at the soup kitchens belong to a particular ethnic group, that would make sense.
I don't recall that that situation has ever come up here in the U.S.

Thumper
01-27-2006, 04:05 PM
the point of this story is that they are trying to incite hatred. I believe there's even a French phrase for this, "sowing seeds of hatred" or something like that.

Basically when you put a minority group beyond reproach and even give them special privileges, you're just winding up the general population for a major backlash, just like Rwanda.