View Full Version : Is torture ever justified?

05-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi, I just finished an article about the possible justifications for torture.

Really, I suppose I am talking about harsh interrogation techniques, and if they are morally acceptable.

Its easy just to shout NO! etc... but I want arguments for/against...

I am against of course, but I want others opinions... is it ever right to aggressively interrogate someone if it could save the lives of thousands? would you do it to save the lives of your families???

I want to know your opinions... Seperate to whether you believe the 9/11 thing anywayz, just arguments about the moral justifications of such techniques, whether 9/11 and the threat of terrorism is real or not.

Here is the piece for reference: Is Torture Ever Justified? (http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_mike_gra_080519_is_torture_ever_just.htm)

- Feel free to comment / criticize on there also!

Looking forward to what you guys have to say!!!

05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Would we do what to save the lives of our families?

Torture someone?
Yes. I know its an odd question, but if you had to get info out of someone to save your family, how far would you go?

I know that that is not the question with the us and guant. Bay, but I just wondered what peoples feelings about the morals of this were, and, if their morals would change if their families safety was involved?

- I personally do not approve of the harsh interrogation 'torture' tactics, but as to how far I would go to protect my family, that is a hard one...

06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Why would you want to torture someone, for a phoney war?

The only thing that's happening here is, to get the people to accept the unacceptable, then use it on us....

07-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Torture is torture if you give it be ready to take it. Civilization can not grow until we move forward.