Club Conspiracy Forums

Club Conspiracy Forums (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alternate History (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The truth about Lincoln. (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6104)

stompk 03-27-2008 08:43 AM

The truth about Lincoln.

There is a lot of hate out there spewed towards Lincoln. I would suggest that Lincoln was the most honorable and important President in US history.

Alexander Stephens
was the vice president of the south, under Jefferson Davis. He was also a former member of the Whig Party, which we now know as the Republican Party. But he was pro slavery, since he owned 34 slaves.

On the brink of the Civil War, on March 21, 1861, Stephens gave his famous Cornerstone Speech in Savannah, Georgia. In it he reaffirmed that "<b>African Slavery … was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution." He went on to assert that the then-prevailing "assumption of the equality of races" was "fundamentally wrong." "Our new [Confederate] government is founded … upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition," and, furthermore, "With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system.</b>"
Alexander Stephens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And a letter from Lincoln to Stephens shortly after this then famous speech.

Hon A.H. Stephens

"My dear sir:- Your obliging answer to my short note is just received, and for which please accept my thanks. I fully appreciate the present peril the country is in, and the weight of responsibility on me.
Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would directly or indirectly interfere with the slaves or with them about the slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears.
The South would be in no more danger in this respect than it was in the days of Washington. I suppose, however, that does not meet the case. You think slavery is right, and ought to be extended; while we think it is wrong and ought to be abolished. That, I suppose, is the rub. It certainly is the only substantial difference between us.
Yours very truly,
A. Lincoln"

A Stormy Session of Buchanan's Cabinet

One day, Secretary Stanton referred to the meeting of the Buchanan Cabinet called upon receipt of the news that Major Anderson had evacuated Fort Moultrie, and gone to Fort Sumter.

"This little incident" said Stanton, "was the crisis of our history,-the pivot upon which everything turned. Had he remained at Fort Moultrie, a very different combination of circumstances would have arisen. The attack on Sumter-commenced by the South-united the North and made the success of the Confederacy impossible. I shall never forget," he continued, "our coming together by special summons that night. Buchanan sat in his armchair in a corner of the room, white as a sheet, with a cigar in his mouth. The despatches were laid before us; and so much violence ensued that he had to turn us all out-of-doors"
<i>Six Months in the White House</i>, F.B. Carpenter, page 54

Why did the South Secede?

What took these seven States-soon to be followed by four more-out of the Union? The answer is, it was their first conviction that slavery would thrive better by being seperated from the influence of the North; and, secondly, it was their belief in "States Rights," upheld by South Carolina as far back as Jackson's Presidency. According to that idea, any State was justified in separating itself from the United States whenever it became convinced that it was for it's interest to withdraw.

In this act of secession many of the people of the South took no direct part,-a large number being, in fact, opposed to it, - a few political leader did the chief part of the work. Their aim was to establish a great slave-holding republic, or nationality, of which they should be head.

President Buchanan made no attempt to prevent the States from seceding; part of his cabinet were Southern men, who were not in full sympathy with the Southern leaders, and the President did not see how to act.

The seceded States seized the forts, arsenals, and other national property within their limits, so far as they could do so. Fort Sumter, commanded by Major Anderson of the United States army in Charleston Harbor, was one of the few where the Stars and Stripes remained flying.

President Buchanan had made and attempt to send men and supplies to Major Anderson by the merchant steamer Star of the West; but the people of Charleston fired upon the steamer and compelled her to go back.

All eyes were now turned toward Abraham Lincoln. The great question was, what will he do when he becomes President?
<i>The Leading Facts of American History </i>, D.H. Montgomery, page 282

Shadow 03-27-2008 08:48 AM

Re: The truth about Lincoln.

He also got a patent on a ships bladder!

stompk 03-27-2008 09:00 AM

Some quotes.

I have this wonderful book about Lincoln called "The Story-Life of Lincoln"
(written by Wayne Whipple, copyright 1906)
The book is a slightly worn cover, with Lincoln's portrait embossed in leather on the front. Looks like the penny, same color and everything.

I will start out with a couple of my favorite quotes.

---
"No man is good enough to govern another man without that
other man's consent."
---

---
"Nobody has ever expected me to be president. In my poor,
lean, lank face, nobody has ever seen that any cabbages are
sprouting out."
---

---
"My poor friends," he said, "You are free-free as air. You can cast off the name of slave and trample upon it; it will come to you no more. Liberty is your birthright. God gave it to you as He gave it to other, and it is a sin that you have been deprived of it for so many years. But you must try to deserve this priceless boon.

Let the world see that you merit it, and are able to maintain it by your good works. Don't let you joy carry you into excesses. Learn the laws and obey them; obey God's commandments and thank Him for giving you liberty, for to Him you owe all things.

There, now, let me pass on. I have but little time to spare. I want to see the Capitol, and must return at once to Washington to secure you that liberty which you seem to prize so highly."
---

---
"It had been represented to the President that the Negro soldier
would not fight. Quick as a flash Mr. Lincoln turned to the "doubting Thomas" and said:

'The Fifty-fourth Massachusetts, under Colonel Shaw, was at Fort Wagner. The fighting was hot, and the firing from the fort was very disastrous to our boys. The colors were shot away, and the colonel asked for a man who would bring back the flag. A black soldier came forward and agreed to return with the flag. He crawled on his hands and knees, and, wrapping the colors around his body, crawled back, riddled with bullets.

And three cheers went up for the color-bearer of the Fifty-fourth Massachusetts. Do you tell me' continued Mr. Lincoln, "that a black
soldier won't fight?'

The visitor was silenced.

He cited another instance,-thus:
'A colonel on the eve of battle gave his color-bearer the regiment flag, saying, "Defend it, protect it, die for it, if need be, but never surrender it."

The black color bearer replied. "Colonel, I will return this flag with honor, or I will report to God the reason why." He died in defending the flag.'

stompk 03-27-2008 09:03 AM

John Brown, an American hero

"On March 30, 1855, proslavery forces invaded Kansas. The "Border Ruffians" seized the polling places and voted in their own legislature. John Brown, Jr. sent an urgent letter to his father asking him to supply arms to the anti-slavery cause: "We need them more than we do bread," he wrote.

The day after receiving the letter, John Brown gathered every weapon he could find and set from North Elba. "I'm going to Kansas," he declared, "to make it a free state."
On the evening of October 16, 1859, Brown and twenty-one men -- fugitive slaves, college students, free blacks, and three of his own sons -- quietly entered Harpers Ferry.

Outnumbered, the arsenal's single guard quickly surrendered. But then a passenger train started to approach and the baggage master ran to warn the passengers. He was shot and killed, the first victim of Brown's war against slavery: a free black man.

As the news from Harpers Ferry spread to Richmond, a company of Virginia militiamen stormed into town, firing along the way. Next to die was Dangerfield Newby, a former slave fighting to free his wife. The crowd mutilated his body. Then they captured two of Brown's men and killed another, tossing his body in the river and continuing to fire on it.

Soon eight of Brown's men were dead or dying, five others were cut off, two had escaped across the river. Brown gathered those who were left in a small brick building to wait out the night.

By early morning of October 18, a company of U.S. Marines under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Robert E. Lee lined the yard. Although he was completely surrounded, Brown refused to surrender. Marines stormed the building and captured and held them while a lynch mob howled outside.

Just days after the raid, Brown's trial began. It would take a week. On November 2, the jury deliberated for forty-five minutes and reached their verdict: guilty of murder, treason, and inciting slave insurrection. The South rejoiced in Brown's execution. But hanging was not the end of John Brown; it was the beginning. Throughout the North, church bells tolled for him. In Massachusetts, Henry David Thoreau proclaimed, "Some 1800 years ago, Christ was crucified. This morning, Captain Brown was hung. He is not Old Brown any longer; he is an angel of light."
The American Experience | John Brown's Holy War | Program Description

Congress met a few days afterward, and the Senate appointed and investigating committee to inquire into the seizure of the United States armory and arsenal... Jefferson Davis, of Mississippi, Mason, of Virginia; and Fitch, of Indiana, Democratic members of the Senate investigating committee, sought diligently but unsuccessfully to find grounds to hold the Republican party at large responsible for Brown's raid....Senator Douglas,...apparently with the object of still further setting himself right with the South, and atoning for his Freeport heresy, made a long speech in advocacy of a law to punish conspiracies in on State or Territory against the government, people or property of another ; once more quoting Lincoln's Springfield speech, and Seward's Rochester speech, as containing Revolutionary doctrines.
<i>Abraham Lincoln: A History</i>, John Nicolay and John Hay, Vol. II

stompk 03-27-2008 09:07 AM

Lincoln, the lawyer

As we all know, he was a lawyer before being president.

"Tell the Judge My Hands Are Dirty"

'On another occasion, when it developed that his (Lincoln) client had
indulged in fraudulent practices, he walked out of the court-room and refused to continue the case. The judge sent a messenger, directing him to return,
but he positively declined.

"Tell the judge that my hands are dirty and I've gone to wash them"
was his disgusted response.

BlueAngel 04-22-2008 09:31 PM

What hate towards Lincoln?

He was assassinated for freeing the slaves, just a JFK was assassinated for atttempting to return the power of money to the Congress.

stompk 04-23-2008 05:19 AM

You would think, however, in the Ron Paul forum Daily Paul, I started a thread, and got lambasted.
The Story-Life Of Lincoln | Ron Paul for President 2008 - Ron Paul Revolution