Club Conspiracy Forums

Club Conspiracy Forums (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest News (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends (http://www.clubconspiracy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7151)

NotThe1 02-01-2009 02:28 PM

Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends

Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends
A rural Illinois jury has found one of their peers innocent in a marijuana case that would have sent him to prison. Loren Swift (pictured below) was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, and he faced a mandatory minimum of six years behind bars.

According to Dan Churney at MyWebTimes, several jurors were seen shaking Swift's hand after the verdict, a couple of them were talking and laughing with Swift and his lawyer, and one juror slapped Swift on the back.

The 59-year-old was arrested after officers from a state "drug task force" found 25 pounds of pot and 50 pounds of growing plants in his home in 2007. The Vietnam veteran walks with a cane, has bad knees and feet and says he uses marijuana to relieve body pain, as well as to help cope with post traumatic stress.

This jury exercised their right of jury nullification. Judges and prosecutors never tell you this, but when you serve on a jury, it's not just the defendant on trial. It's the law as well. If you don't like the law and think applying it in this particular case would be unjust, then you don't have to find the defendant guilty, even if the evidence clearly indicates guilt.
Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends | War On You

alapoet 02-01-2009 08:50 PM

Re: Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends

Thanks for helping to get the word out!

I was hoping WarOnYou had given me attribution as the writer of this piece, or at least linked to the original on my site, but since he didn't do that, here's the link to the original article, not the copy:

Reality Catcher: Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends

The Old Medic 02-07-2009 01:25 PM

Lots of juries send people to prison every day for marijuanna possession, etc. This case isn't anything that will change this, unfortunately.

You would think that the government would have learned with Prohibition, that prohibiting something that the peope want, and making its possession a criminal offense, does not work. It only makes organized crime more powerful, creates contempt for the laws, and enriches all of the wrong people.

ALL narcotics should be regulated and licensed by the state. There should be severe penalties from driving under the influence (such as confiscation of the vehicle being driven, mandatory prison terms, etc.). No probation alloed, the vehicle is confiscated no matter who it belongs to, etc. Who would loan their car to anyone that uses, if they knew that it could be taken by the government?

Anyone that provides any narcotic to a minor should be executed. Nothing else will work to stop those animals, and they should be given no longer than one year to appeal. Then carry out the sentence.

Tax the narcotics, and have pure drug laws that have real teeth in them. Anyone that adulterates drugs, a minimum of 25 years in prison.

The government would make a lot of money, virtually all of the crime related to drug use would stop, and nobody would die of overdoses, etc.They would save billions in prison costs.

And a lot of users would not bother, if it didn't have the aura of being "forbidden fruit".

alapoet 02-07-2009 02:39 PM

Actually, it IS something that could change the war on drugs -- if enough people find out about jury nullification, and then exercise it in the jury room.

BlueAngel 02-07-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alapoet (Post 54865)
Actually, it IS something that could change the war on drugs -- if enough people find out about jury nullification, and then exercise it in the jury room.

Please inform us about jury nullification.

My son is knowledgeable about it, but I would like to know more.

alapoet 02-07-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAngel (Post 54866)
Please inform us about jury nullification.

My son is knowledgeable about it, but I would like to know more.

Gladly!

Reality Catcher: Maybe *This* Is How The War On Marijuana Ends

Fully Informed Jury Association

JuryImmunity.org

BlueAngel 02-07-2009 08:58 PM

Thank you.