View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: The Corruption of Our Churches

I think you hit the nail on the head with your seemingly unsolvable paradox of "How can I love my country and believe in a God yet be fearful of my government and apprehensive of the church or organized religion."

This is a delimma I've also been pondering for many years. I haven't come to any solid conclusions on how to deal with it, but I'm beginning to find ways to feel a little peace about it.

In regards to out government, we don't have any choice but to live under it, but we can and should complain and protest corruptions, though at times it seems futile.

Religion, at least for me, is another matter. We can choose to be, or not to be, a part of any religion; we have a choice there. But then choosing to belong to a certain religion involves then a larger moral choice: How far do we want to involve ourselves in something that we know is corrupt? This has been my problem. I'm technically a Protestant, though I've been attending my local Catholic church for a year, though I still don't know a soul there. The nice thing about Catholic churches is that they tend to ignore new people, which suits me just fine. I leave the Mass on Sunday with a great feeling of peacefulness, and I don't have to get caught up in the politics of the place.

But is this the right approach to take? Maybe I'm just being lazy because I don't want to be tested in any way, to make it known to other parishioners that while I support the Church's view in regards to abortion and euthanasia, why is it that conservative Catholics don't speak out against the Iraq war? To involve myself further would mean that I would have to be true to my beliefs, and I know there'd be friction. I don't know if I have the courage or energy for that.

As a side note, my great-grandfather was a Methodist preacher. His name was Marvin Freeman. He died at the age of 37 in Phillips county, AR, while holding a revival there.

You've brought up some important issues, freeman. I'd like to comment later on other aspects of the article as well.