View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Earthquakes/Tsunami attacks? Asia stands divided against dollar and euro

I found the following explanatory letter about Diego Garcia posted at whatreallyhappened.com. If the island has a natural protective barrier against a tsunami, this would be known by the military and appropriate scientific personnel.
==================================================
http://216.177.7.126/letters/

READER: Greetings Michael. Allow me to explain why Diego Garcia suffered little or no damage to it. I can testify to this because I spent some duty time there. To prove that point, it is THE best saltwater fishing in the world! You will see why here.

Diego Garcia is an atoll shaped like a V that has been punched a couple of times because the jagged shape. From the top of the V to the bottom is roughly 15 miles, but from tip to tip, it is approx 35 miles (if my memory serves me correctly). The Island is not very wide, maybe a few hundred yards max? At the top of the V is the opening of the lagoon. The lagoon at the mouth is about 150 + feet deep. Of course the other end being very shallow. While I was there the Seabees started construction of a deep pier inside the lagoon to reach out to about 100-foot depth. This was so that large Sub-tenders could pull pier side as opposed to being anchored. The lagoon was the only area one was allowed to swim or snorkel and for good reason. Large fish that love things that are soft and smooth on the outside and crunchy on the inside. The open end of the V has three small Island that make up the lagoon entry. If one tried to wad to the closest of the three Islands at all would be subject to immediate dishonorable discharge after maybe serving time! If they made it back alive. Case in point, two guys did make it to the one Island, but on the return, the leading guy turned around and his buddy was gone without a peep. He was found a few days later, down coast, chewed up good! Now lets get to the ocean side shall we?

The ocean side is surrounded by a barrier reef. The bottom of the ocean does not gradually rise up to the sand. This reef starts along the beautiful sandy beach and has a flat top to it that stretches out at least 50 feet from the coast. During low tide the water maybe 5 feet deep across the top of it out to the end of the reef. On a calm day you could see very large fins on the surface! At the edge of the reef is a wall! This reef wall drops down to over three hundred feet deep if not more! So as you may see here, the reef wall absorbed most of the impact from the wave. I hope this helped.