View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Knowledge of the Symbol

OK, Sat.

It's late here but I quickly say what I believe, the main point.

Truth is much bigger than both your and my idea of it. You're holding the tail of the elephant and I'm holding one of the legs. Therefore you think you're holding a snake and I think I'm holding a tree trunk.

One of us is not wrong. Both of us is right.

We see different sides of the same, Absolute Truth.

I'm convinced of the transcendental unity of religions. All world religions convey the same basic ideas. They differ in their outer shell, their form, but their inner meaning is the same. They all use symbolism that is of a universal character and convey the same metaphysical wisdom, regardless of outer dogmatic forms.

I don't believe one religion is right and all others are wrong. Jesus was not the only one to teach what he taught, so when he says I am the Truth, the Way, the Life, he means that by acting like him the way is open to spiritual fulfillment. He doesn't say, "all those Nordic peoples are wrong" because their Tradition is saying the same thing Jesus said.
Hence, my opinion is that all religions are RIGHT. (But then again I don't agree with Barbara when she says Satanism is a religion, but that's another issue.)

If you are Hindu for example, the doctrine of Jesus would correspond to the way of Bakti, i.e. Love. But there are other ways to reach liberation than by the doctrine of Love, according to Hindu Tradition. The Way of Love is one way among a few others.

Another example is the born-again idea. It's a universal idea of spiritual awakening, the destruction of the Ego, in exchange of the realization and manifestation of the Self. It exists in all manifestations of Traditional civilizations. It is there in Islam as well as in Buddhism, the Tao-Te-Ching, the ancient Vedic religion.

So when Jesus says to Nicodemus "unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God"(John 3:3) I see a universal idea, transmitted through Jesus, who most definately knew what he was talking about, being what in the Hindu/Vedic Tradition is called dvija or a "twice born".

The same goes for certain pre-Christian doctrines like the Mithraic Mysteries, where Mithras killing the bull is a universal symbol of the destruction of the Ego, the false self, and Mithras' "adventures" is an inner journey of the soul, the ending of which is the killing of the Ego.

Hope that clears it up for you.