View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Malicious e-Mails

WARNING: :-o :-o :-o
I received an e-mail from "Washington Mutual", I believe, WAMU was their logo, when I looked them up in the Internet.

The e-mail said that to check "parity" on my account to please "click" on the link provided (by them) below. I did not "click" since "I do not have an account" /w them.

What I did instead was, I called their "customer service" 800 number & asked them if the e-mail I received was either an "ad" or was it in error, since I do not have an account w/ them.

They told me that they are investigating the matter. To not worry about it since they are just using "e-mail" addresses they steal for whatever malicious purposes, but their recommendation is to just not "click on their link" or to respond in any way to their e-mail or request. To proceed & delete the e-mail in question.

My general suggestions are,

1) Never "click" on any links in an e-mail which is not sent to you by someone you know & trust, or a web site you trust or have used before.
2) If in doubt, never "click" or accept anything, & delete the e-mail immediately. Especially, if it has anything to do w/ "banking" or "credit accounts" & then call that financial institution immediately.
3) Always delete all "ad" e-mails, unless you really want to see what they are offering, but then you are taking your chances.
4) Only transact e-mails w/ trusted people & institutions.
8-)