View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: The Eye and the Pyramid

Quote:
Marsali wrote:
The terms 'oath,' 'vow,' and 'pledge' have different meanings, Bondi; they don't mean the same thing.

My old Websters dictionary defines these three terms:

Oath: the invoking of God or some sacred or revered person or thing as witness of the truth of a statement or the binding nature of a promise.

Vow: to promise solemnly, esp. to God, to vow obedience; to resolve emphatically, to make a vow.

Pledge: to hand over a security for a loan, to commit (oneself, one's reputation, etc.), to promise, to pledge allegience to the flag, to drink a toast to.
But saying let your yes be yes and your no be no, means you shouldn't do any of them, just say yes I will or no I wont. Or is that over simplifying to my cause.

Quote:
Marsali wrote:
There's quite a difference between "invoking" the name of God, or a revered person or thing as is done in your Masonic oath, and quite another thing to make a promise "to" God. They are completely different, Bondi.
So which one is allowed, the invoking or the promising?

Quote:
Marsali wrote:
And when you make your Masonic oath, isn't it under the threat of death if you divulge any of the secrets of the society?
Similar variations of them were in use in England among the oaths taken by mariners during the 15th century and were also used in oaths assumed by those being admitted to the bar in London, England during the 16th century. Which of course were later removed, as they have been from Freemasonry.

They, in all instances, were symbolic of the severity of revealing the secrets, and were never at any time actual punishments.

Like, "cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye" it's a symbolic reference to how important it is to keep the secret you are going to receive, how many kids do you see in accident and emergency with needles poking out there eyes crying cause the told a secret.