View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Retired Attorney's Letter To His Sons - P4

I blame President Bush or President Clinton before him? No, I blame us for blithely assuming we can maintain all our political correctness and all of our civil rights during this conflict and have a clean, lawful, honorable war. Get them out of your head.

-Some have gone as far as in their criticism of the war and/or administration that it almost seems they would literally like to see us lose. I hasten to add that this isn't because they are disloyal. It is because they just don't recognize what losing means. Nevertheless, that conduct gives the impression to the enemy that we are divided and weakening, it concerns our friends, and it does great damage to our cause.

-Of more recent vintage, the uproar fueled by the politicians and media regarding the treatment of some of the prisoners of war perhaps exemplifies best what I am saying. We have recently had an issue involving the treatment of a few Muslim prisoners of war by a small group of our military police. These are the type of prisoners who just a few months ago were throwing their own people off buildings, cutting off hands, cutting out their tongues and otherwise murdering their own people just for disagreeing with Saddam Hussein. And just a few years ago these same type enemy fighters who recently were burning Americans and dragging their corpses through the streets of Iraq. And still more recently the same type of enemy that was and is providing videos to all news sources internationally, of the beheading of an American prisoner they held. Compare this with some of our press and politicians who for several days have talked and talked about nothing else but the "humiliating” of some Muslim prisoners, not burning them, not dragging their charred corpses through the streets, not beheading them. Can this be for real? The politicians and pundits have even talked of impeachment of the secretary of defense. If this doesn't show the complete lack of comprehension and understanding of the seriousness of the enemy we are fighting, the life and death struggle we are in and the disastrous results of losing this war, nothing can. To bring our country to a virtual political standstill over this prisoner issue makes us look like Nero playing his fiddle as Rome burned - totally oblivious to what is going on in the real world. Neither we, nor any other country, can survive this internal strife. Again, I say this does not mean they are disloyal. It simply means that they are absolutely oblivious to the magnitude of the situation we are in and into which the Muslim terrorists have been pushing us for many years. Remember, the Muslim terrorists stated goal is to kill all infidels. That translates into all non-Muslim - not just in the United States, but throughout the world. We are the last bastion of defense.

We have been criticized for many years as being 'arrogant'. That change is valid in at least on respect. We are arrogant in that we believe that there we are so good, powerful and smart. That we can win the hearts and minds of those who attack us, and that with both hands tied behind our backs, we can defeat anything bad in the world. We can't. If we don't recognize this, our nation, as we know it will not survive, and no other free country in the world will survive if we are defeated. And finally, name any Muslim countries through out the world that allow freedoms of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, equal status or any status for women, or that have been productive in one single way that contributes to the good of the world.