View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Australia about to face Civil War?

Ok,ok. I repent in sackcloth and ashes. This just in from the Australian e-zine "Crikey" - eye-witness report:

The crowd of people up the slope to the "Wall" had noticed what was happening and all of a sudden it was on. The mob chased this kid into Northies, straight through the traffic which was brought to a sudden standstill with the now thousands of people surrounding the entry to Northies. Imagine a group of thousands of people, and I really do mean thousands of people, all chasing one kid into a pub and then standing outside screaming the most hateful and violent trash talk, throwing bottles, jumping on cars containing children that were stuck in the crowd. The kid they were after was about 17 and would weigh in at a huge 60kg. I could not believe my eyes that a lynching like this could happen anywhere, let alone Cronulla beach.

End of quote:

But is the answer anti-terror legistlation? Ok, let's get this mob, silence the country?

I don't think so. As much as I utterly repudiate this kind of hateful bile, I STILL think it's been stooged. Let time tell; but I'm gonna stick my neck out.

This is NOT the beginning of any Civil War. It's the beginning of a surge in the New South Wales prison population - either way.

This is far more frightening to me:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Anti-terror for Cronulla ringleaders?

Stephen Feneley writes:

It seems those anti-terror laws were passed just in the nick of time. All those cosmopolitan elites who said we didn't need laws against the incitement of racial violence should be hanging their heads in shame over their skinny decaf lattes today in the wake of the outbreak of Skip-on-Leb violence on Sydney's beaches. How shameful that anyone could have questioned the Attorney General's determination to rush these laws through Parliament.

The awful violence at Cronulla and Maroubra was proof of the threat posed to our democracy by evil forces (in this case pissed white Cronulla home-boys) determined to stir up hatred against people for no other reason than their suspected ethnicity or religion. No doubt federal authorities armed with the new anti-terror laws and with the full backing of Mr Ruddock will move swiftly to track down and prosecute the malevolent ringleaders responsible for sending those text messages that drew the rioting yobs to the beach yesterday afternoons.

I am joking of course. It's unlikely Ruddock would want the laws used in this case, although it might have been different had those text messages originated from a mobile belonging to someone of middle-eastern appearance. Even though the anti-incitement provisions of the legislation are ideally suited for this event, it's a safe bet no one in the Government ever thought a situation would arise where the wrong-doers would fit the profile of Howard battlers.

Before Paul Sheahan of the Sydney Morning Herald accuses me of turning a blind eye to the behaviour of people he refers to as Lebanese gangstas, I am not excusing violence perpetrated by anyone. The people who beat up on the lifeguards at Cronulla on the previous weekend should be caught and prosecuted.

However there seems little doubt that the incitement of yesterday's violence was the the work of people who regard themselves as true blue Aussies. This kind of white-bread fundamentalism wasn't in the Ruddock/Howard script when they whipped up hysteria about the threat lurking within our midst in order to justify their stupid and contemptible laws.

End Quote:

Exactly - try using Osama Bin Laden to justify this one. This is whitebread mindlessness.

GWB must be really happy.

DB