View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Should we all follow Arjuna the warrior?

Rushdoony,

Thanks for posting that article. I never knew the full story about Arjuna. His legendary life is quite interesting.

My avatar on the left is a picture of Lord Krishna and his wife Radha Rani.

I value the wisdom contained in the Bhagavad Gita, which is a story about how Lord Krishna guided the warrior Arjuna in battle. It is highly symbloic and metaphorical. The basic theme is that we all have trials and tribulations to face in life, and that spiritual awareness can guide us to make the right decisions and to take the right actions to optimize our results. God is available to help us if we only ask. We can make hard decisions, take action, and win a sacred victory.

I am a white American. Although I was raised Roman Catholic, I never embraced that religion, and my subsequent studies have confirmed my initial suspicions that it is an unsuitable religion for me. I have been interested in Hinduism since I was 18 years old.

The roots of Hinduism go back a very long time. It is possible that some of their teachings descend from an advanced civilization that existed in India over 10,000 years ago. Many good and wise people have contributed to the development of the Hindu religion and to Hindu philosophy.

Hinduism studies a variety of ancient Indian writings. The basic teachings can be found in the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Yoga Sutras. The teachings incorporate myth, allegory, symbolism, philosophy, psychology, physical fitness, and imagination. The basic idea is that God can inspire you, and you can come to know God, but you create your own life, and you create your own religion. And, of course, you reap what you sow, known as the law of karma. Hindus believe that each person has an eternal soul that reincarnates countless times to experience many different life experiences.

Hinduism has many deities, or representations of God. Krishna and Radha Rani are deities, as are Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, and Ganesha. The idea is that there is one God, but God has many attributes. The deities help Hindus to relate to Godís various attributes. The God of Hinduism is patient, loving, and fair. All souls reap what they sow, and God supports the entire process.

I agree with much, but not all, of the Hindu literature I have studied. Hinduism is very tolerant, realizing that each person must create his own way of believing and living.

I am fortunate to live near a Hindu temple. The people I associate with there are wonderful. The mood at the temple is always cheerful and upbeat, and it is a great place to go to take a break from the cares of the world.

If you are interested in studying the Bhagavad Gita, I recommend the translation by Juan Mascaro. Here is a good website that provides information about Hinduism:
A Tribute to Hinduism
A Tribute to Hinduism contents