View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Christian numerology

Quote:
Arjuna wrote:
Quote:
Ivan Panin, From Wikipedia

In 1890, Panin believed he had discovered amazing patterns in the Hebrew text of the Psalms, and soon afterwards in the Greek text of the New Testament. Thereafter, until his death in 1942, he was to devote over 50 years of his life to painstakingly exploring the numerical structure of the Scriptures, generating over 43,000 detailed, hand-penned pages of analysis. A sampling of his discoveries were published, and are still being published repeatedly.

However, outside reviews of his work cast much doubt on the value of his findings. A review of his work on the Gospel of Mark suggests that he freely picked and chose from various alternative readings of manuscripts, and that any patterns he claimed to have found were in fact his own creation.
That article is at one of the websites you referenced. I am not going to review his 43,000 pages of analysis to prove or disprove his conclusions. However, as someone who did review his work concluded, I suspect that "any patterns he claimed to have found were in fact his own creation."

As I mentioned earlier, this line of research is numerology, not mathematics. If you twist any text hard enough, you can probably find some number patterns in it. To me, that does not prove anything meaningful. If you want to prove or disprove the validity of the Bible, I think it is more important to study what the text actually says and to study information about the people who actually wrote it. That is another way of saying that Panin's approach is "barking up the wrong tree."