View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 AM

Default errors in above posts

After you log out, you cannot edit a post, so I want to clear up some minor errors in my above two posts.

Quote:
From my post about the triangles:
The bottom image covers a greater area than the top image. The difference in the areas is exactly the area of the added white square in the bottom image.
After thinking about this a bit, I realized it could not be true. The red and green images at the top are smaller than the red and green images at the bottom. Therefore, (total area of the image at the bottom) - (total area of image at the top) = (area of white square added = 1 square unit) + (area of red and green images at bottom) – (area of red and green images at top).

It is clear that the difference in the total areas is greater than 1 square unit. Assuming that what appear to be hypotenuses are actually a parabolic arcs, it is possible to determine the equation of the defining parabolas. I did that, and then, using calculus, calculated the total areas of the images. The bottom image is 1.4 square units larger than the top image. 1 square unit is the added white square, and 0.4 square units is the difference in size of the red and green images.

Quote:
From my post about the number 9:
If you are working in base 2, it always goes back to 0.
It should say, “If you are working in base 2, it always goes back to 1.” The general statement is: For any base, it always goes back to the largest single digit number.

As truth seekers, it is important to really seek the truth, and be honest about what we find when we communicate with others. When we are in error, it is important to improve our understanding of the truth and communicate that new understanding with others if possible.