Re: The sky is REALLY falling
MAry, Yeh i'm pretty positive but sometimes one drifts the other way.
I guess there may well be some destruction. Perhaps one more disaster to show people what happens when all you worry about is your next fuck or the colour of your new car.
Perhaps it's a form of evoloution in action? Perhaps those with a capacity for caring about whats going on around them will prosper and those with a capacity for remaining as ignorent as possible will be killed off?
I dont like to talk like this. This is how 'They' talk. This is the cynical view of humanity 'They' have...i dont want to slip into that trap.
I always remind myself of John Miltons quote from 1642...
"Those who have put out the peoples eyes reproach them of their blindness"
We must be careful not to join 'Them' in this view but sometimes I find it unavoidable.
A good friend and former Russian Orthodox monk surprised me one day when I lamented what a waste it all was and the sadness I had at the millions who would die.
He replied..."fuck em. You cannot take responsibility for others ignorence. You and I both have had to extricate ourselves from the mud to get a clear view of things and at great cost to ourselves. If others do not want to make that sacrifice then that is their simple and God given choice. After all, thats the point...God has given mankind a choice. To be with him or against him. A free choice. Those that have ears will listen." [paraphrasing of course].
Thats a pretty accurate gist of it.
Can some one help me with a New Testament quote where Jesus speaks to a crowd..."Hypocrits! You know the signs of the weather but cannot see the signs of our time". [bad quote, help me out!]
I was looking for this in the NT when I opened the page to this Psalm. Perhpas this answers a little of the question first placed here by Ahmed...
Why do you stand afar off, O Lord? Why do you hide in times of trouble?
2. The wicked in his pride persecutes the poor; let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.
3. For the wicked boasts of his hearts desire; he blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord.
4. The wicked in his proud countenece does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.
5. His ways are always prospering; Your judgements are far above out of his sight; as for all his enemies, he sneers at them.
6. He has said in his heart, "I shall not be moved; I shall never be in adversity".
7. His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tounge is trouble and inequity.
11. He has said in his heart, "God has forgotton; he hides his face; he will never see."
12. Arise O Lord! O God lift up your hand! Do not forget the humble.
13. Why do the wicked renounce God? He has said in his heart, "You will not require an account."
14. But you have seen, for You observe trouble and grief, to repay it by Your hand. THE HELPLESS COMMITS THEMSELVES TO YOU; YOU ARE THE HELPER OF THE FATHERLESS.
16. The Lord is King forever and ever; the nations have perished out of His land.
17. Lord, You have heard the desire of the humble' You will prepare their heart; You will cause your ear to hear.
18. To do justice to the Fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the Earth may oppress no more.
I'm sure God is watching and moving in mysterious ways.
God acts through the hearts of good people.