View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Malicious e-Mails

Questionable e-Mails: :-o :-o :-o

”madkhao”, if you never initiated the request for which you ended up receiving information from your ISP, then rather than responding via e-mail, I would call via phone & request to speak to a human being (a real one) & ask them if they actually sent that e-mail, was it sent in error, or is it some kind of “malicious e-mail”. Just as a “sanity check”.

Also, in addition to “truebeliever’s” suggestions,

Usually SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections, the ones that show a little “lock” at the bottom of the page, w/ 128-bit encryption or now higher, are the most secure. However, if the connection was provided by an “impostor”, then there is no security. Also, believe it or not, these can be hacked by professional security experts, & you know who they work for. The problem w/ secure connections is that you need a secure connection at both ends. And usually, when you browse the Internet most servers are not “secured”. I have read about “Secure Browsers”, but I haven’t looked into that. And I would imagine they would only be secure w/ “secure servers". Servers are the computers that respond to your “browser’s” requests, like for example the server that handles all of the www.clubconspiracy.com Internet requests.

For my own protection, besides “SpyBot”, I use “Bazooka”. Bazooka doesn’t perform the “destroying” but it tells you how to do it manually, from which you could learn a few more tricks. It’s quick to run & update, but if you do happen to have any “spyware or adware”, then that’s going to slow you down to fix. However, I have detected “spyware” w/ Bazooka that was not detected by SpyBot.

For “virus” protection I use McAfee’s VirusScan & it’s Firewall product. With the Firewall you can block anyone trying to talk to your computer except only those applications you allow “full-access”, such as “Internet Explorer”, “McAfee”, “Outlook Express”, etc. Also the Firewall allows you to log all incoming activity to your computer & you can even trace each “event” back to the source. By selecting an option, you can also have all of these “blocked events” automatically forwarded to a site that collects all of this data, which they use to monitor world-wide activity, & perhaps detect & stop a real computer attack. Most of them are “vendors” trying to get information from the “cookies” dropped down by servers onto your computer, onto your "Temporary Internet Files", & "Temp" folders, whenever you “surf” the Web.
8-)