View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: BEWARE OF DAVID ICKE

Generational Curses, First Comments...

"...The final step is clearly not a biblical one, although they attempt to use a verse from the Bible to justify it. In this step we are told we need to renounce the sins of our ancestors because their sins open doors for demons to attach themselves to us. Generational curses have become quite a popular thing in the deliverance ministry circuit and also among the word/faith people.

The entire hubbub has grown out of a misunderstanding of Exodus 20:4-6. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.” From this passage, with an emphasis on verse 5, many have determined that there exist “generational curses” where if your father sinned, then you will be cursed because of his sins. Because of this, you must not only renounce all of your own sins to be safe, but also that of every relative of yours who might have let a demon into the family.

But, as with all Scripture, we must take it in context within the passage and within the Bible as a whole. Does this mean that you can be punished for the sin your father committed? How can we reconcile this thinking with the following passage from Ezekiel?

"He will not die for his father's sin; he will surely live. But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people.

Yet you ask, `Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him." (Ezekiel 18:17-20)

If we buy into the concept of generational curses, then this passage directly contradicts it and the Bible is in error. However, we know that the Bible is not in error so it must be the concept men devised that is in error.

This passage in Ezekiel actually sheds light on the passage in Exodus. The reason Exodus talks about the children down to the third or fourth generation being cursed because of the sins of the father can be easily seen in our society today. Ungodly parents (those who hate God) raise their children in ungodly ways and those children in turn raise their children in ungodly ways. This cycle is only stopped when the son does “what is just and right and who keeps God’s decrees. This person is no longer one who hates God, but one who loves God and will then enjoy the benefits of God’s favor to thousands of their generations.

Sin is the generational curse we are all born with. Breaking this generational curse doesn’t require us to renounce demons or pray certain prayers. All we need to do in order to break this generational curse is to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and to follow God and His ways."
More:
http://www.getfaithgo.com/curses.htm