View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I work for God

Default Some quotes.

I have this wonderful book about Lincoln called "The Story-Life of Lincoln"
(written by Wayne Whipple, copyright 1906)
The book is a slightly worn cover, with Lincoln's portrait embossed in leather on the front. Looks like the penny, same color and everything.

I will start out with a couple of my favorite quotes.

---
"No man is good enough to govern another man without that
other man's consent."
---

---
"Nobody has ever expected me to be president. In my poor,
lean, lank face, nobody has ever seen that any cabbages are
sprouting out."
---

---
"My poor friends," he said, "You are free-free as air. You can cast off the name of slave and trample upon it; it will come to you no more. Liberty is your birthright. God gave it to you as He gave it to other, and it is a sin that you have been deprived of it for so many years. But you must try to deserve this priceless boon.

Let the world see that you merit it, and are able to maintain it by your good works. Don't let you joy carry you into excesses. Learn the laws and obey them; obey God's commandments and thank Him for giving you liberty, for to Him you owe all things.

There, now, let me pass on. I have but little time to spare. I want to see the Capitol, and must return at once to Washington to secure you that liberty which you seem to prize so highly."
---

---
"It had been represented to the President that the Negro soldier
would not fight. Quick as a flash Mr. Lincoln turned to the "doubting Thomas" and said:

'The Fifty-fourth Massachusetts, under Colonel Shaw, was at Fort Wagner. The fighting was hot, and the firing from the fort was very disastrous to our boys. The colors were shot away, and the colonel asked for a man who would bring back the flag. A black soldier came forward and agreed to return with the flag. He crawled on his hands and knees, and, wrapping the colors around his body, crawled back, riddled with bullets.

And three cheers went up for the color-bearer of the Fifty-fourth Massachusetts. Do you tell me' continued Mr. Lincoln, "that a black
soldier won't fight?'

The visitor was silenced.

He cited another instance,-thus:
'A colonel on the eve of battle gave his color-bearer the regiment flag, saying, "Defend it, protect it, die for it, if need be, but never surrender it."

The black color bearer replied. "Colonel, I will return this flag with honor, or I will report to God the reason why." He died in defending the flag.'

Last edited by stompk : 03-27-2008 at 10:10 AM.