View Single Post
  #5  
Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Leonardo Leonardo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 498
Default Re: Montecito is Burning like a Witch right now!

Latest news from Montecito Fire that has consumed 111 homes. My goodness, that certainly could mess up one Saturday golf game at the country club..




Montecito fire consumes 111 homes


Toll could rise. Schwarzenegger declares a state of emergency, and local groups are pitching in to assist evacuees. Calming winds give firefighters a break.
By Louis Sahagun, Steve Chawkins and Mitchell Landsberg
November 15, 2008
Reporting from Los Angeles and Montecito -- As a wildfire that devastated the wealthy enclave of Montecito settled down late Friday, a second blaze erupted in Sylmar amid heavy winds and destroyed at least three structures and scorched 100 acres, authorities said.

The Montecito blaze destroyed 111 residences and damaged nine near Santa Barbara before flame-stoking winds died down and the fire stabilized. However, authorities cautioned that the totals could go higher; 1,500 homes were still threatened, and the fire was not contained. Flames had consumed 1,800 acres, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.



Photos: Tea fire in Montecito Map of the fires in MontecitoFire chars Montecito, Santa Barbara
How Santa Ana winds contribute to fires
Montecito fire: What about the celebrities?

Meanwhile, in Sylmar, heavy Santa Ana winds stoked a fire in the hills above Veterans Memorial Park that began around 10:30 p.m., officials said. Winds quickly pushed the fire toward a line of nearby homes, burning at least three structures by midnight and threatening many more, authorities said.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department -- which had sent strike teams to fight the fire in Montecito on Thursday night -- sent 100 firefighters to the Sylmar blaze. Additional crews from Angeles National Forest joined them.

It promised to be a difficult battle, as Santa Ana winds up to 70 mph are forecast through today, with a red-flag warning in effect for canyons and valleys in Los Angeles and Ventura counties.


Related information

Evacuation information

Firefighters offer tips on preparing for wildfires

L.A., Ventura counties warned about wildfire threat

Blog: Flames rode 'Sundowner' winds into Montecito

2007 Southern California wildfires Further north, the Montecito fire was smaller than many of the wildfires that have ravaged Southern California in recent years, but its speed and ferocity exacted a huge toll in property damage and left residents stunned. After breaking out at 6 p.m. Thursday, the fire raced unchecked through the populated slopes of the Santa Ynez Mountains, exacerbated by 70 mph winds, combustible brush and narrow roads that became clogged with incoming fire crews and outgoing evacuees.

"This thing came on so fast, you just couldn't believe it," actor and homeowner Rob Lowe said Friday. "Embers were raining down, they were in our hair, they were in our shirts. . . . It was absolutely Armageddon."

Another resident said he was awed by the fire's destructive force.

"We watched probably about $60 million" worth of houses "just burning out on Mountain Valley, a real posh area," said Paul Morison, who defended and saved his own home in the Riviera area of Montecito. "This morning they're gone. . . . The big house we used to look at, probably over 10,000 square feet, there's nothing."

Morison estimated that 50 houses had burned around his. He and two friends had defied the flames with garden hoses until 3:30 a.m. Friday.

Among the celebrities with homes in the area are Lowe, Oprah Winfrey and Michael Douglas. Lowe and Winfrey, talking by phone on Winfrey's television show Friday, said their homes escaped damage. An estate owned by actor Christopher Lloyd and valued last year at $11.3 million sustained major damage, however. Lloyd was filming in Vancouver, but his caretaker "fled for his life," said Lisa Loiacono of Sotheby's International Realty.

A 98-year-old man who was evacuated to a hotel died, according to Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown. He said the man had multiple medical problems and his death was being treated as "potentially a fatality related to the fire."

Seven people suffered burns, Santa Barbara County Fire Chief John Scherrei said. Two were taken to a burn center in Sherman Oaks, and five had lesser injuries, he said.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency for Santa Barbara County.

The wind tapered to near calm Friday, providing firefighters with conditions that were much better than forecast. Predictions called for warm, dry weather but relatively mild winds in the Santa Barbara area this weekend. About 5,500 people remained displaced, according to Santa Barbara County Supervisor Salud Carbajal, and firefighters were taking no chances.

"It's still very unstable, and we're not by any means ready for people to get back into their homes," said Santa Barbara Deputy Police Chief Richard Glaus.

As is often the case with Southern California wildfires, the wind caused the fire to hopscotch in places, sparing some homes while igniting others. Some homeowners enhanced their luck through foresight or sheer grit.

When Maurizio Barattucci pulled up Friday morning to the Santa Barbara home he had evacuated the night before, he saw the following scene: To the left, six houses burned to the ground. To the right, four more. In all, 15 homes in his immediate neighborhood were destroyed.

In front of him, still standing, was his house, covered in ash. Water was running everywhere. Barattucci, 69, and his wife Rochelle Barattucci, 70, had left their old-fashioned yard sprinkler running when they evacuated Thursday evening. The pipes had melted during the fire, but the sprinkler had done its job. The sprinkler system had come with the 1924 house on Camino Alto, and it had saved them once before, in the Coyote fire of 1977.

"We were actually the only ones on the street that survived that fire, and it just happened again," Barattucci said.
Reply With Quote