View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Re: George W. Bush: The Bible Is "Probably Not" Literally True

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post
No, being a Christian does not mean that you have to believe that every word of the Bible is literal truth. Only a very tiny minority of Christians believe that is the case. They are very loud about their beliefs, and condemn anyone that doesn't believe as they do, but that does not make them right.

Jesus spoke in parables, which are stories to illustrate a point. Those stories were not the literal truth, but the point was.

Much of the early old testament was an effort to explain the formation of the earth, etc. Nobody but fanatics really believe that the earth was formed in 6 human days. After all, what is a day to God?

St. Paul, in one of his Epistles, says that a day is like ten thousand years to God, and ten thousand years is like a day. In other words, time to God is nothing like time is to us.

The Bible does not say just how God fashioned the world and the universe. It says that he did this, but does not explain how.There is no reason why he couldn't have chosen evolution as the process.

It is interesting that the vast majority of the Christian fundamentalists are located in the United States. Not one of their churches existed before the 17th century and most came along in the 18th or 19th). They all broke off from more mainstream religions, and they all believe that they have the exclusive answer to Salvation.

And every one of them forgets that in the Bible, God says that only he knows what is in a persons heart.

They just never appear to have "caught on" very well in other parts of the world. I can't help but wonder why that is?
I'm well aware that in order to be a Christian one does not have to believe the bible to be ALL TRUTH.

Anyone who believes that everything written in the bible is truth, needs to have their head checked.

Re-read my post.

I'm certain you'll understand my point more clearly when you do.