View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Newbie from the UK: my story + views on social engineering

Peace,

If you still think that God in all His greatness was incarnated in a creature form, i recommend this short article for you,
Greatness of God

Also in case you missed it on another old thread, here is an excerpt from an article of a famous Christian scholar, John Hick

-------------------------------------------
[img align=left]http://www.johnhick.org.uk/frontcover.jpg[/img]John Hick : Philosopher of Religion & Theologian
Danforth professor of the philosophy of religion, emeritus, the Claremont Graduate University, California; H.G. Wood professor of theology, emeritus, the University of Birmingham, UK; honorary professor of the University of Wales,UK; Fellow of the Institute for Advanced Research in Arts & Social Sciences, University of Birmingham, UK. Vice-President, British Society for the Philosophy of Religion; Vice-President, The World Congress of Faiths.

[Emphasis added]

I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me’ (14:6)

"It is generally held today that the great ‘I am’ sayings of the fourth Gospel, which I quoted a minute ago, cannot be attributed to the historical Jesus but are words put into his mouth by a Christian writer some 60-70 years later, and also that Jesus’ sayings in the Synoptic Gospels cannot be taken to constitute a claim to be God incarnate - as Dunn says, ‘there was no real evidence in the earliest Jesus-tradition of what could fairly be called a consciousness of divinity’.

If this comes to anyone as a bit of a shock, that is because although theologically educated ministers of the church know this, they do not mention it in their sermons. And I must confess that I myself have never said it in a sermon, but only in settings such as this. This silence has been going on for a very long time, and of course the longer you put off saying something difficult - difficult to the hearers - the harder it becomes to say it.

When some years ago, 1977, a group of us, who included the Regius Professor of Divinity at Oxford, and a former Regius at Cambridge, then Warden of Keble College, Oxford, and the Principal of Cuddesdon Theological College, Oxford, and others, published a book called The Myth of God Incarnate in which we discussed this question openly and frankly, we were attacked and reviled, not for saying what the scholarly world had long known, but for saying it so publicly and with such an alarming title.

But today, more than twenty years later, the whole subject is much more openly discussed, and I don’t have any hesitation in discussing it here."

-----

"It’s also well known today - another theme of that book - that the term ‘son of God’ was widely used in the ancient world. Jesus was by no means the only person to whom the term was applied

In particular, within Jesus’ own religion, Judaism, Adam was called the son of God, and is so called in Luke’s Gospel where Jesus’ ancestry is traced back to ‘the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God’ (tou Seth tou Adam tou Theou’, 3:38), angels were called sons of God, Israel as a whole was called God’s son, and indeed any outstandingly pious Jew could be called a son of God. And the ancient Hebrew kings were enthroned as son of God - hence the words of Psalm 2:7, ‘Thou art my son, this day I have begotten thee’. But no one within Judaism thought that God literally begot sons.

The phrase ‘son of God’ was clearly metaphorical. ‘son of'’ meant ‘true servant of’ or sometimes ‘given a special divine mission by’ or more generally ‘in the spirit of’. The term was a very familiar metaphor within Judaism and never implied deity.

But as Christianity expanded beyond its Jewish roots into the Graeco-Roman world the metaphorical son of God was gradually transformed in Christian thinking into the metaphysical God the Son, second person of a divine Trinity.

And it is this epoch-making development that is under question today."

http://www.johnhick.org.uk/article2.shtml

--------------------------------------------------

[112:0] In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[112:1] Proclaim, "He is the One and only GOD.

[112:2] "The Absolute GOD.

[112:3] "Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten.

[112:4] "None equals Him."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[3:19] The only religion approved by GOD is \"Submission.\"...