View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Real Atlantis Story Suppressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
I think you are putting too much of an onus on capitalism with this statement. The market only reacts to the whims of the masses.
Wrong. It is the whims of the masses that are directed by PR and advertising.

Quote:
We certainly have developed into a society that prefers disposable to durable goods, this is hardly the fault of capitalism. The tradeoff is certainly goods of poorer quality, but also far lower cost than their more durable counterparts.
Most people would be happy to pay twice as much for an item that lasts 5 times longer. In fact, some products (like cleaning products) are marketed precisely with a slogan containing this context.

It is not the public that asks for poor quality products. It is poor quality products that are enforced on the masses because there is no better quality alternative.

Quote:
I have to admit, this paragraph confused me a bit. What is contrary?
Making computers that never break and buildings that never fall down and clothes that never fall apart would be contrary to the workings of the capitalist system.

con·trar·y adj.1. Opposed, as in character or purpose: contrary opinions; acts that are contrary to our code of ethics.
2. Opposite in direction or position: Our boat took a course contrary to theirs. See Synonyms at opposite.
3. Music Moving in the opposite direction at a fixed interval: playing scales in contrary motion.
4. Adverse; unfavorable: a contrary wind.
5. Given to recalcitrant behavior; willful or perverse.

n. pl. con·trar·ies 1. Something that is opposite or contrary.
2. Either of two opposing or contrary things: "Truth is perhaps . . . a dynamic compound of opposites, savage contraries for a moment conjoined" (A. Bartlett Giamatti).
3. Logic A proposition related to another in such a way that if the latter is true, the former must be false, but if the latter is false, the former is not necessarily true.

adv. In an opposite direction or manner; counter: The judge ruled contrary to all precedent in the case.

Idioms: by contraries Obsolete In opposition to what is expected.

on the contrary In opposition to what has been stated or what is expected: I'm not sick; on the contrary, I'm in the peak of health.

to the contrary To the opposite effect from what has been stated or what is expected: Despite what you say to the contary, this contract is fair.

Last edited by Out of the Box : 10-28-2009 at 02:20 PM.