View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Reptile face in the 5 pound note!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
Actually, the Appeal to Authority and Strawman logical fallacies are two completely different things. I will agree that many in the skeptical community do behave in just the manner you describe, but remember that many in the Alternative Medicine/Flat Earth/Conspiracy crowd behave in just the same manner, refusing to believe anything that modern science has determined.
You basically have one group of people accepting ANY that is mainstream and another group of people accepting NO knowledge that is mainstream. Obviously, both attitudes are equally prejudiced.

Quote:
What is more, there is a very real body count caused by this attitude. Trying to treat cancer with homeopathy, autism with chelation, and denying vaccines to children because of bad science have a real effect. This is why many in the skeptical movement feel so passionately about it and act the way they do.
I don't trust mainstream medicine either. Thousands of people are killed annually by MDs making a bad diagnosis or by treatment going wrong. I myself had a misdiagnosis twice (by different MDs) and one led to an unnecessary operation. Let people decide whatever treatment they want, I say. If they're stupid enough to get themselves killed by refusing treatment or getting involved in very dangerous treatments, I guess that's just natural selection taking place.

Quote:
So basically, this one is the God of the Gaps. Just because science has not explained something yet does not mean that the only possible alternative is the supernatural.
I don't believe in anything beyond nature, but I do believe there are parts of nature we haven't yet been able to explain from a scientific point of view. Thus, in my opinion the so-called "supernatural" is just a part of the natural world that science cannot or has not explained.

Using philosophy to fill the gaps is the ONLY option to get a complete model as long as those gaps remain. That's why in my opinion it's very useful.

Quote:
I will agree though that the Eastern philosophies tend to be far less harmful than, say, Catholicism.
Not just far less harmful. Some of these philosophies are actually very beneficial for human consciousness at many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albie View Post
But in my experience debunkers are correct 99% of the time when evaluting the evidence.
It depends on the topic. On some topics, they're actually incorrect 99% of the time.

Quote:
And I rarely find a believer who has checked his evidence beyond reading it off David Icke.com.
I rarely find a debunker who has checked his evidence beyond reading it off websites like Nizkor.org or PopSci.com.

Quote:
I really doubt a liar would become a debunker. It's just not exciting enough.
If they have an agenda, they might feel inclined to.

Quote:
That isn't to say that some of the people who saw reptiles aren't telling the truth. But how can you judge the evidence amongst all the bs?
Of all types of evidence eyewitness testimonies tend to be least credible, so I usually ignore them unless the other evidence demands it.