View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Woo Nemesis

Default Re: Reptile face in the 5 pound note!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of the Box View Post
You basically have one group of people accepting ANY that is mainstream and another group of people accepting NO knowledge that is mainstream. Obviously, both attitudes are equally prejudiced.
Yes, and I wouldn't claim otherwise. However, the difference is that in the skeptical community we generally want and rely upon proof, rather than belief. Odd discoveries happen all the time in the scientific community, discoveries that are well outside the accepted understanding of things. Those that have merit are tested by other researchers and confirmed, those that arent, fall by the wayside. In the Woo community, they are doggedly held to in evidence to the contrary.
Quote:
I don't trust mainstream medicine either. Thousands of people are killed annually by MDs making a bad diagnosis or by treatment going wrong. I myself had a misdiagnosis twice (by different MDs) and one led to an unnecessary operation. Let people decide whatever treatment they want, I say. If they're stupid enough to get themselves killed by refusing treatment or getting involved in very dangerous treatments, I guess that's just natural selection taking place.
Yes, mistakes in diagnosis do happen sometimes, and since there is no way to remove the human element from medicine, this will likely always be the case. However. to throw out the baby with the bathwater and disbelieve the science of modern medicine just because some doctors are incompetent is grossly negligent. What is more, those in the public eye like Jenny McCarthy do a real disservice to the public by promoting hysteria and giving out wildly inaccurate information. Very real children are dying of very real diseases thanks to the misinformation of the woo crowd.

Quote:
I don't believe in anything beyond nature, but I do believe there are parts of nature we haven't yet been able to explain from a scientific point of view. Thus, in my opinion the so-called "supernatural" is just a part of the natural world that science cannot or has not explained.

Using philosophy to fill the gaps is the ONLY option to get a complete model as long as those gaps remain. That's why in my opinion it's very useful.
No, saying "I dont know" and seeking the gaped information is the only way to get a complete model. Trying to trancendentally determine the missing information will at best give you a flawed view of the system in question, and at worst, will lead you in unproductive directions and inhibit your ability to ever find the actual answer. The "God of the Gaps" fallacy refers to more than just deistic explainations.

Quote:
Not just far less harmful. Some of these philosophies are actually very beneficial for human consciousness at many levels.
Specifically how?
[/quote]

Last edited by EireEngineer : 11-09-2009 at 08:46 AM.