View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Reptile face in the 5 pound note!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
Yes, and I wouldn't claim otherwise. However, the difference is that in the skeptical community we generally want and rely upon proof, rather than belief.
It all depends on the topic. For example, with regards to 9/11 the "skeptic" community has no proof whatsoever. They base their entire opinion on the belief that the CIA or Mossad couldn't and wouldn't commit such a horrible crime on American soil and all evidence of controlled demolition is simply ignored in favor of the debunked NIST report.

Quote:
Odd discoveries happen all the time in the scientific community, discoveries that are well outside the accepted understanding of things. Those that have merit are tested by other researchers and confirmed, those that arent, fall by the wayside.
This is only true in some cases. Especially when a topic is politically sensitive or corporate interests are at stake science is often abandoned for pseudo-science. This is especially the case in social sciences, but also in engineering.

Quote:
Yes, mistakes in diagnosis do happen sometimes, and since there is no way to remove the human element from medicine, this will likely always be the case. However. to throw out the baby with the bathwater and disbelieve the science of modern medicine just because some doctors are incompetent is grossly negligent.
I'm not so sure. In an age when governments are shouting "pandemic" and pushing millions of vaccins for a relatively harmless disease, I find it hard to trust medicine at all. Cancer and HIV treatment seem to do more damage than good and I'm not convinced I'll ever take chemo in case I'm diagnosed with cancer.

Quote:
No, saying "I dont know" and seeking the gaped information is the only way to get a complete model. Trying to trancendentally determine the missing information will at best give you a flawed view of the system in question, and at worst, will lead you in unproductive directions and inhibit your ability to ever find the actual answer.
Philosophy exists precisely to fill the gaps where science provides no answer. I really don't see why it is better to have an incomplete model than to attempt to complete the model by means of philosophy.

Obviously, any acceptable model should be consistent with the physical universe and not proven wrong by tests.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of the Box View Post
Not just far less harmful. Some of these philosophies are actually very beneficial for human consciousness at many levels.
Specifically how?
Eastern philosophies like Vedanta and Tao teach you how to find harmony within yourself and with your environment, without forcing you to go to religious services or believe in some inaginary creature in the sky. They help you understand man's place within nature and the way all living things are connected at both a physical and spiritual level.