View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 AM

Default Re: The Great "HIV" Hoax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
OK, how about the Alternative Medicine/Flat Earth/Conspiracy Theory crowd. Woo-Woo is a term skeptics use to describe any of the myriad pseudo-science that is out there.
Not all "alternative medicine" and "conspiracy theories" are pseudo-science. That's where you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
It has been my observation over the years that there are many commonalities between these groups. Namely, rabid denial of even basic evidence to the contrary, tendentiousness, and the common use of logical fallacy in their arguments. I will concede the point that many in the skeptical movement are just as bad, but it is a lower percentage then you will find in the woo crowd..
Not in my experience. If you visit a "skeptic" forum and attempt to prove that 9/11 was an inside job or that Hitler was not responsible for the murder of 6 million Jews (*), the vast majority of responses are strawman arguments and insults. It's the very reason I'm no longer active on that sort of forums.

--------------------------------------------------

(*) Hitler used concentration camps for much the same reason Roosevelt did : to lock up people considered a threat to national security. Forensic tests, Red Cross reports and other evidence shows that there were indeed large death tolls in some of the German concentration camps, however the main killers in these camps were typhus and typhoid. When the allies were carpet bombing German infrastructure, resources could no longer reach these camps making it impossible to stop the pandemic. The film The Relief of Belsen gives some insight in what really took place and is based on the testimonies of the British soldiers as they liberated Bergen-Belsen.
As rumours existed among Jews that Hitler was killing people with gas chambers, this was soon incorporated in black propaganda, linked to the high death toll and even made it to the Nuremberg show trials. However, there is no evidence that a single concentration camp inmate was ever gassed by the Germans. Neither is there any evidence that Hitler planned to kill all Jews. In fact, the claims that Hitler was exterminating Jews was largely forgotten until the Six Day war when zionists started using it for their own propaganda and the Holocaust Industry developed.