View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Woo Nemesis

Default Re: Reptile face in the 5 pound note!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of the Box View Post
It all depends on the topic. For example, with regards to 9/11 the "skeptic" community has no proof whatsoever. They base their entire opinion on the belief that the CIA or Mossad couldn't and wouldn't commit such a horrible crime on American soil and all evidence of controlled demolition is simply ignored in favor of the debunked NIST report.
No, its not that the report is simply believed and all evidence to the contrary ignored...its that the "evidence" is not convincing when taken as a whole.

Quote:
This is only true in some cases. Especially when a topic is politically sensitive or corporate interests are at stake science is often abandoned for pseudo-science. This is especially the case in social sciences, but also in engineering.
Examples?

Quote:
I'm not so sure. In an age when governments are shouting "pandemic" and pushing millions of vaccins for a relatively harmless disease, I find it hard to trust medicine at all. Cancer and HIV treatment seem to do more damage than good and I'm not convinced I'll ever take chemo in case I'm diagnosed with cancer.
I will agree that the hyperbole over the current H1N1 virus is a bit overdone. Never the less, H1N1 does in fact kill, and those at the most risk should probably get the vaccine, whether or not you believe in herd immunity. As somone who volunteers for the Race for the Cure every year, I can tell you though that if it wasnt for chemotherapy, most of the women there would not be alive today. Yes it sucks, but so does dying.

Quote:
Philosophy exists precisely to fill the gaps where science provides no answer. I really don't see why it is better to have an incomplete model than to attempt to complete the model by means of philosophy.

Obviously, any acceptable model should be consistent with the physical universe and not proven wrong by tests.
I would agree to a point, but you would still be plugging in possibly erroneous assumptions that could lead to inaccurate data at the end.

Eastern philosophies like Vedanta and Tao teach you how to find harmony within yourself and with your environment, without forcing you to go to religious services or believe in some inaginary creature in the sky. They help you understand man's place within nature and the way all living things are connected at both a physical and spiritual level.[/quote]

Last edited by EireEngineer : 11-09-2009 at 08:57 AM.