View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Default Re: The Great "HIV" Hoax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
Perhaps, but the overwhelming majority of so called "alternative medicine" practices are pseudo-science at best, and charlatanism at their worst. Take acupuncture for example. I for one was hopeful that acupuncture would prove to have at least moderate efficacy for the treatment of pain. However, in every double blind study ever performed the best that acupuncture could deliver was the placebo effect. Yet acupuncturists tried to spin this as "it works". What is worse is that by promoting such therapies as valid, alt med adherents are discouraging people with real conditions from seeking real treatment, contributing to the pain, suffering, and sometimes needless death of these individuals.
What about the Duesberg hypothesis on HIV and AIDS? What about Royal Rife's research? Is there sufficient evidence to dismiss these as pseudo-science? I find it hard to find any...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
I suppose it depends on the quality of the information you bring to the debate, and the amount of actual research you have done. It seems that many people think that just because somebody wrote it and put it on the internet, that it has been fact checked at vetted, and therefore it should be believed.
Unfortunately, this is the case both for so-called "skeptics" and so-called "conspiracy theorists".