View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Woo Nemesis

Default Re: What's Happening To America ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of the Box View Post
Well, I am called "Out of the Box", right? My views don't fit into the traditional left-right spectrum, so it was only a matter of time before we found a view we shared
Yeah, actually we probably share a few.

Quote:
Libertarians seem to believe that laissez-faire capitalism will eventually lead to fair wages and solidarity as too no one would want to work for a company paying too little and a too broad underclass wouldn't provide enough consumers to actually buy their products, but the example of 19th century Western-Europe (which was pretty close to laissez-faire capitalism) shows the exact oposite. Unions and unemployment benefits were created precisely because Dickensian Europe allowed a tiny upper class to exploit a huge underclass (with little to no middle class). A re-establishment of laissez-faire capitalism in the future is likely to repeat this.
Well...first of all, I am anything BUT a libertarian. So no, I certainly do not believe that laissez-faire policies are the answer, nor has any such system ever existed in practice, even in 19th century Western Europe. There have to be some common sense regulations, and to overstate my position as such is a ludicrous straw man. The debate, at least here in the US, is about the relative role of government at the margin. Liberals want marginally more government influence, conservatives marginally less. It has nothing to do with "fair" compensation or "solidarity", as if such a realization were ever possible. In any fairly substantial population there are going to be a wide array of differing viewpoints.
As for unions, their origin indeed does stem from the excesses of the burgeoning Industrial Revolution, an event that singularly changed the nature and structure of economies in a rapid fashion. In the US, industrialists could take advantage of the large immigrant work force, and did often. However, times change. We now have a plethora of government agencies and regulations that prevent, or at least mitigate, many if not all of the reasons unions formed in the first place. The primary effect unions have now is to unreasonable increase compensation for their members while at the same time reducing their productivity.

Quote:
I encourage you read The Diversity Myth (the book I'm currently reading). It explains how the level of education at Stanford dropped significantly precisely due to a radical left agenda of multi-culturalism from 1986 onwards (of course, besides ruining the curriculum it also brainwashed entire generations of students). Although none of the other universities deteriorated at the same rate, the process also happened at other universities.
No arguments from me there. The political correct movement is certainly one of the most damaging concepts ever to be introduced into the political discussion. Thankfully, it has not stiffled thought in the US to the extent that it sounds like it has in your country. That was the only point I was making

Quote:
I'm a very non-PC, semi-collectivist, paleo-conservative and I must hide many of my views everywhere besides among my inner circle of friends.
Semi-colectivist but paleo-conservative? Sounds like a contradiction in terms on this side of the pond.

Quote:
You mean the tendency of the European masses to accept totalitarianism in return for a social security system. I'm sure this plays along, however that doesn't change the fact that political correctness and multiculturalism were imported from the US.
Blame the Dominant Liberal Establishment Mass Media for that one.

Quote:
First of all, neo-imperialism is economic and not military.

Second, we do have US bases in my country
Must be Holland then. Gotta love the Dutch, lol
Quote:
I hope my countrymen will wake up before that can happen....
Me too.