View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Vera
Default Re: The school system is no longer about learning

I would say one reason we do not do as you have suggested is because people will constantly change their minds regarding what they want to do with their lives, especially when they're children. Adults even change ideas on what they want to do. Therefore, school systems do not want to put out the money to teach specified and in-depth subjects to children that will change their mind the next year. I know, even once I was in college, I was still changing my mind regarding what I wanted to learn and become. While it makes sense to have them focus on what they really like and want to do, it would be quite expensive for the school systems to keep changing the curriculum every time a student changed his or her mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebra View Post
I found the education system as a whole pointless. As long as you can read and write, Your then free to learn about any subject you feel passionate about. All the rest is useless unless your interested in a specific subject like maths or science for example.

I think we should be taught to read, write and some basic maths and then encouraged at a younger age to think seriously about what we want to achieve. Then under go an education in that direction.

People will willingly learn and remember stuff there interseted in. I dont believe you can put a grade on intelligence. People are good at different things. So to put everyone under the same umbrella. Then say your less intelligent because the person standing next to you can remember certain things, you cant is rediculouse. And once someone is labled as less intelligent.
They blindly believe it and so lose the desire to achieve. The whole things a shambles but what you gonna do?