Thread: AUTISM
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Woo Nemesis

Default Re: AUTISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
Can't you read?

I mentioned celebrities and those who aren't.
Yes, but it is the celebrities that get the press, and therefore are far more responsible for the very real body count caused by the anti-vaccination movement.
Quote:
Sorry, pal, but you might want to read the thread in its' entirety.

It was predicted by the scientific community that autism rates are expected to increase by an astronomical figure (something like one out of every
10 children born) and, as I responded to the report, how would they know this when they don't know what causes it, unless they really do know what causes autism?
Really? And when they released that report what did they say could be the cause of rates skyrocketing? Oh, right, you got blinded by the numbers and missed the very important details about causation.

[quote=BlueAngel;63863]
The same as ADD, and ADHD.

The scientific community doesn't know what causes ADD and ADHD, but the pharmaceutical companies certainly know how to treat it.
[/quote} Therefore what? You need not know the exact cause of something to find an effective treatment. They are called drug studies for a reason you know?
Quote:
Not all of us believe everything that comes out of the mouths of the scientific community, as you do.
Noice overstatement, as if I am some mindless zombie that believes everything the scientific community says. However, science does get it right most of the time, it just takes time.
Quote:
Actors are narcissistic?

Go to the mirror.

Huh?

Eire said:

"Oh, and what do you have to say to the fact that Thimerosal has been out of childhood vaccines with no decrease in Autism rates? Or the fact that as a percentage of the population by age group, autism rates have stayed largely flat?"

Please provide back-up to support your claim that those who believe childhood vaccinations to be the cause of autism suggest that Thimerosal was the ingredient in the childhood vaccinations that caused autism and back-up to support your claim that since the scientific community withdrew Thimerosal from vaccinations, autism has declined.
Nice attempt at a strawman there, but I never said rates declined. I said it stayed flat. Lrn2read
Quote:
So, you're saying that the scientific community has acknowledged that childhood vaccinations that contained Thimerosal were the cause of autism, but since this ingredient has been removed from childhood vaccinations autism rates have flat lined?
Thimerisol was removed from vaccines as a precaustionary measure. Jenny McCarthy's movement was causing vaccination rates to drop, and it was felt that it was better to remove the Thimerisol then to have millions of children go unvaccinated because of an irrational fear. If it had been the cause then you would figure that autism rates would have gone down once it was removed. It hasnt. See the causation?
Quote:
But, I thought you said that, "WE" know, for a fact, that childhood vaccinations aren't responsible for autism.

I think you're talkin' mumbo-jumbo.

Autism does not present itself in any other age group other than childhood, so your comment that autism, as a fact, by the percentage of the population by age group has stayed largely flat doesn't make any sense.

FYI, autism is on the rise.
It is only rising because the definition of Autism Spectrum Disorders has broadened. You havent read up on this as much as I have so I will forgive your obvious ignorance. Yes, developmental disorders generally present themselves....wait for it...in development. What a shock. However, a recent study in Britain looked at people in their 20s, 30s, etc all the way up to people in their 60s and found that as a percentage of population, using the current definition of Autism, rates were the same fifty years ago as they are today. They were not diagnosed the same back then as they are today. What is more there is less of a social stigma to having your child diagnosed today then there was fifty years ago, and this too is leading to an increase in diagnoses.
Quote:
Your college degree certainly doesn't seem to serve you very well.

What a waste of time and money.

P.S. You REPEAT, AS A FACT, over and over again, but it doesn't make it a FACT.
Ah yes, the ad hominem...the last resort of a weak argument.