View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Breaking News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
I hear ya, Gaia.

Thanks for your posts.

Jon Stewart said the following on his show:

"The face of the Arab world in America's eyes for too long has been bin Laden, and now it is not. Now the face is only the young people in Egypt and Tunisia and all the Middle Eastern countries around the world where freedom rises up. Al Qaeda's opportunity is gone."

================================

Please speak for yourself, Jon.

The face of the Arab world in America's eyes for too long has not been bin Laden, and because you say that now the face of the Arab world in America's eyes are the young people in Egypt, etc., where freedom rises up doesn't make that so either.

Do you seriously believe that because bin laden is dead, Al Qaeda's opportunity is gone?

That would be equivalent to saying that if Obama were assassinated, our entire government would cease to exist.

The taking out of a leader does not dismantle the "organization."
I wish I could find the article I just read yesterday saying that Al qaeda is dead because when people join they swear alliegance to bin laden himself(no leader no al qaeda is what the article was selling). This to me seems like propaganda geared to write off fear in the minds of the masses. It would seem more likely that the next man in the chain of command would simply take over and that no fundamental change would be achieved by the US government in combating terrorism. Like BA said, "Do you seriously believe that because bin laden is dead, Al Qaeda's opportunity is gone?" I would say no. I see zero change taking place. If anything it seems that this would make things more difficult for the military,CIA etc. because now they won't have a face and name to peg a new leader.

If I find the article I'll drop a link for you guy's. It seems like it was FOX news? But maybe some other reporting firm and that's why I can't locate it now. Not sure, but any way I was wondering if any one else has read that and if so what your thoughts are?