View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Obama's love of White Women

Michelle Obama's Transformation!-of the American diet.

2.25.2014, 12:38 PM

Michelle Obama announces new rules for advertising junk food at schools

Even the scoreboards in high school gyms will have to advertise only healthy foods under new rules announced Tuesday by the Obama administration.Promotion of sugary drinks and junk foods around campuses during the school day will be phased out under the rules, intended to ensure that such marketing is brought in line with health standards that already apply to school foods.That means a scoreboard at a high school football or basketball game eventually wouldn’t be allowed to advertise Coca-Cola, for example, but it could advertise Diet Coke or Dasani water, which is also owned by Coca-Cola Co. Same with the front of a vending machine. Cups, posters and menu boards which promote foods that don’t meet the standards would also be phased out.Ninety-three percent of such marketing in schools is related to beverages, and many soda companies already have started to transition their sales and advertising in schools from sugary sodas and sports drinks to their own healthier products. Still, companies are spending $149 million a year on marketing to kids in schools, according to USDA.The proposed rules are part of first lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative to combat child obesity, which is celebrating its fourth anniversary this week. Mrs. Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced the new rules at a White House event.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1701140

This article is from the WebMD*Feature Archive

The Obamas: First Couple of Fitness

The Obamas are making history, not just as the first African-American president and first lady, but perhaps also as the fittest first couple ever.That role model, in turn, may inspire millions of sedentary Americans to get moving, exercise and preventive health experts hope.Both the new president and first lady are regular exercisers, managing to squeeze in workouts despite their hectic schedules. It's difficult not to admire their dedication. When in Chicago, the new first lady was said to begin her day with a 4:30 a.m. gym workout.

Instead of kicking back and getting some extra sleep the day after he won the election, Obama showed up at his gym at 7 a.m. for a workout. The new president's washboard abs -- snapped by photographers during his Hawaii vacation -- rival that of a 30-something leading man in Hollywood.Comparisons aside,*it's clear that exercise is serious business for the Obamas -- and more about maintaining health and mental acuity than looking good."Barack is almost religious about getting in his workouts," says Alan S. King, a close friend of Obama's and an attorney at Drinker Biddle & Reath in Chicago. "He values his workout time as time to think and relieve stress. I'd say he's also driven by the fact that he wants to be fit and healthy to be around for Michelle and the girls [daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7]."

Obama Exercise Program: The Routine

The new president's workout program would put many men half his age to shame. Obama, 47, combines his love of basketball with treadmill workouts and weight training, say those who have observed his workouts or played hoops with him.

Obama told*Men's Health*magazine in its November issue that his typical routine includes working out for 45 minutes, six days a week, including cardiac-strengthening routines and weight lifting. That's in addition to his famous basketball games -- played whenever possible and always on election days."He alternates days between strength and cardio training and gets in as much basketball as his schedule permits,'' King tells WebMD.*Irene Trantas, a master trainer at the Philadelphia Sports Club at Rodin, observed Obama work out on three different occasions when he stopped in while on the road. "You could definitely tell he has a routine, he works out, and he is familiar with the routine," she tells WebMD. During his stops there, he combined a treadmill run and elliptical trainer with weight training, including the chest press, overhead press, leg press and other conditioning exercises, she says. "He is strong."*

Article continues below

http://www.m.webmd.com/fitness-exerc...fitness?page=2

OMG

First Lady Michelle Obama shares her diet and workout secrets

First Lady Michelle Obama is fit and fab at 48, thanks to a healthy diet and daily pre-dawn workouts.The athletic 5-foot-11 Obama hits the White House gym between 4:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. every morning before her daughters wake up, doing a combination of cardio exercise, strength-training and plyometric moves."Barack and I*work out every day," Michelle told*iVillage*Aug. 21, 2012 in her first feature as guest editor. "When he isn’t traveling, that's the first thing we do. So we spend time together in the morning. I usually get to the gym before he does, but he is usually there either in the middle of my workout or right at the end."The First Lady says lifting weights is an integral part of her training. “You don't have to be a weightlifter," she says. "I know a lot of women get worried about muscle definition. But actually, I’ve been told by fitness experts that the average person will not bulk up on the weights that we can lift. That's not why people bulk up."You want to have some weight training in your routine, especially as women, to make sure we've got strong bone density. And it helps with that toning, those little areas that we don't like that flap a little bit, that aren't as tight. That's where lifting comes in, once you've gotten your cardio in there.”Obama also tries to do yoga and Pilates regularly and maintain a steady weight. "I try to keep my weight at a certain level," she says. "And I've found that as I get older I don't like to diet. I like food. I don't like to have to worry and count every calorie."Obama doesn't let anything keep her from her daily workouts--not even a hectic travel schedule. “I bring a jump rope and some of those rubber [exercise] bands," she says. "They're really inexpensive. And I can usually do some rope-jumping in the hotel room."The First Lady, who launched the "Let's Move"*anti-obesity campaign*in 2010, underscores that being active on a daily basis is doable, no matter how busy you are."What people should know is that it just doesn't take much," she says. "It doesn't have to be that complicated. If I don't have a rope or if I don't have space, I might do a 30-minute routine that includes a minute of jumping jacks alternating with a minute of pushups, or however many you can do, and then some sit-ups. And you keep doing that circuit again and again, and you'll find that you're going to build up a lot of sweat. You're going to be burning calories."While she tries to eat healthy most of the time, Obama admits she has a weakness for french fries. "If there are french fries in the vicinity, I'm done. It's over," she says."Barack, his [vice] is chips and salsa and guacamole. And peanuts, almonds, pecans. And there's a way that he eats that we tease him about: He kind of shakes them in one hand and creates, like, a little dispenser with his index finger where he can just pop them in his mouth. He's a nut guy. That's what he's munching on all the time."

Suggested by the author

Barack Obama quit smoking in 2007: 'I'm scared of my wife'

Michelle Obama's 'Let's Move' program cited for helping reduce childhood obesity
Michelle Obama promotes exercise, healthy eating in hip-hop video
First Lady Michelle Obama: I'm in 'way better shape' than my husband
Predawn workouts helped Michelle Obama stun in red-hot inaugural gown

http://www.examiner.com/article/firs...orkout-secrets

Last edited by redrat11 : 02-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.