Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Get Saved......
Just When You Thought It
Was Safe To Get Saved...
Texas Pastor Electrocuted During Baptism
WACO, Texas - A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning after grabbing a microphone while partially submerged, a church employee said.
The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was standing in water up to his shoulder in a baptismal at University Baptist Church when he was electrocuted, said Jamie Dudley, a church business administrator and wife of another pastor there.
Doctors in the congregation performed chest compressions for 40 minutes before Lake was taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, Dudley said. Police said they weren't called and the hospital referred calls to the church.
The woman Lake was baptizing was not injured, Dudley said.
Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone during baptisms, Dudley said.
"He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear," Dudley said. "It's the only way you can be loud enough."
About 800 people attended the morning service, which was larger than normal because it was homecoming weekend at nearby Baylor University, Dudley said.
Lake, who had a wife and three children, had been at the church for nine years, the last seven as pastor, Dudley said.
Pastor & Parishoner Perish In Baptismal Waters
By Shaun Smillie
SOUTH AFRICA - A pastor and the man he was baptising both drowned when they slipped into a rock pool during the ceremony.
The pastor was performing a baptism on the last of a group of 15 members of the Jerusalem Apostolic Church when the rocky river bed he was standing on gave way, causing both men to fall into a deep pool enclosed by a steep ravine.
The tragedy happened just after sunrise, yesterday.
"Both men appeared to have panicked and then drowned, said police spokesperson Superintendent Eugene Opperman.
Police divers were called in after church members failed to rescue the two victims.