Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Resources > Share the knowledge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Known Carcinogen Present in Soft Drinks Since 1990

Known Carcinogen Present in Soft Drinks Since 1990
By Tabitha Alterman
Many widely available soft drinks — including Hawaiian Punch, Diet Pepsi Twist, Sunny D, Kool-Aid Jammers and Country Time Lemonade — contain two ingredients that can form benzene, a carcinogen linked to leukemia and other cancers of the blood; nervous and immune system disorders; anemia and chromosome aberrations. Benzene is particularly toxic to children and those who have repeated exposure.

The U.S. Food and Drug Admin-istration (FDA) first learned of the hazard 16 years ago, when its researchers discovered that the interaction of benzoate preservatives and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) can form benzene. This interaction is exacerbated by prolonged storage under warm conditions, and the products most at risk are diet and sugar-free drinks.

Rather than advise a recall, the FDA entered into a private agreement with the largest beverage manufacturers, who agreed to “get the word out” to the rest of the industry. Some of the companies “fixed” the problem by adding sugar or chemicals called chelating agents, both of which can slow the formation of benzene.

But it seems many companies haven’t yet received word, since the two ingredients are still paired in a wide range of beverages all over the world. “There is no reason to add ascorbic acid to soft drinks,” says Glen Lawrence, a former science advisor for the FDA. “Those that have vitamin C naturally in them should not use sodium benzoate as a preservative. It is really very easy to avoid the problem.”

The FDA recently announced that it has again found benzene in some undisclosed beverages. Independent tests by other laboratories found benzene concentrations up to 10 times the federal limit for drinking water. (There is no allowable limit for beverages other than water, because the government assumes that people drink more water than anything else.)

The FDA maintains that the levels of benzene found recently are “not an imminent health hazard.” The Environmental Working Group (EWG), however, discovered that the FDA continued to test for benzene during the 1990s. Of the diet sodas tested, 79 percent contained levels above the federal limit for tap water.

Just weeks after the news about benzene resurfaced, the United Kingdom’s food safety officials began testing for benzene, and promptly removed some soft drinks from stores. Richard Wiles, EWG senior vice president, thinks the FDA should do the same: “Disclose the test results that taxpayers have paid for. Tell consumers which products contain high levels of benzene.”
To view a partial list of beverages that contain the two ingredients that can form benzene, visit http://www.ewg.org/issues/toxics/20060228/list.php

Another thing to consider is before pop is put into aluminum cans, the can is sprayed with varnish, because the acid in the pop deteriorates the aluminum, now if it will disolve aluminum, how safe is it really to put into our bodies?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Known Carcinogen Present in Soft Drinks Since 1990

Good point: God help us who are so naive about the food processing industry!!! :-o :-o :-o

I can't remember how many times I've blithely opened a can or jar of food without rinsing or inspecting the contents.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Yes, the effect on the immune system is evident with me personally. I have a condition called lymphedema. Predominately in my lower extremities.

It is speculated that perhaps I had this condition as a child, but... because I was a thin child and teen (and young adult) it went unnoticed to other people...but, noticeable to me. I always had that kind of soft 'baby butt' feel to my arms and legs no matter how much I worked out!!

Where am I going with this?.....Well, I noticed that when I indulge in certain soft drinks and foods, my lymphedema accumulates quicker and my limbs get bigger. I, at times, will go without much food for about 3 days to get to a decent looking extremity for my height and weight.

Though there is no cure for lymphedema, only maintenance and education in regards of, I find that people really need to question what is in their foods and drinks and re-start a diet plan of chemical-free foods. This is tough at first, but...it is life or death when you think about it.

We have become a nation of pleasing the senses that our taste buds want more and more variety, and we now need all kinds of new recipes and flavors because we get 'bored of the same old stuff'. Yet, our 'same old stuff' is much too much of a variety of menus, flavors, courses/portions, and we still want more. We want bigger, we want super-size, we want bolder flavors and aromas. Good golly Miss Molly!

There was a time when we ate the same things everyone M/T/W/TH/F/Sa/Sun (menu for lunch and dinner) for 7 days then repeated the same menu. And mom was a happy person for it! (Once in a while mom would cook us up a surprise dinner!)
Now we can't get enough of what is out there!

What are we doing to ourselves and our children? Hey, it's only suppose to be nutritious and delicious for a small part of our life sustaining regimen. Now...eating has become an activity!

We all like to indulge in get-togethers for a food fest and such, nothing wrong with a reward once in a while. But, hey....the brain called...it wants to know if there's a famine or something going on!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM

God bless the market forces that put salads and other *REAL* food on the fast-food menus of [you know!].

Just once I wish that I could drive up to a window where someone hands me a platter with celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and a cup of ranch dip for the same price of the lard patty.

And BTW, every country that has a Mc D franchise never attacks US assets: could it be that the Happy Meal is a venue for mind control technology???
Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Bouncer wrote:
God bless the market forces that put salads and other *REAL* food on the fast-food menus of [you know!].

Just once I wish that I could drive up to a window where someone hands me a platter with celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and a cup of ranch dip for the same price of the lard patty.

And BTW, every country that has a Mc D franchise never attacks US assets: could it be that the Happy Meal is a venue for mind control technology???
Ya know........... someone should do a test!

You just took your unruly child to McD's for a 'happy meal'. All is going well, child is satisfied, happy and fed. Then you go home and say...about an hour later your child decides it's bored again and just plain testy. Now...if you reminded the child of the 'Happy Meal' that it had that day, and did not go again (that day) would the child become calm? Would the thought that it had a happy meal bring on a sense of 'yes, I have no need to be testy' I am a child of McD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some folks might like this!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Well, remember that MDMA (aka Extacy) was in the pharm of the CIA during the MKULTRA days, so you can't tell me that it wasn't developed and diversified off the record (http://mdma.net/index.html). Perhaps trace amounts could be introduced into food, per a secret research contract, and the results are documented via A/V on the premises, I dunno!

It's like the old tactic of spritzing the air with oxytocin (see the above link and search the page for "oxytocin") at sales pitches, e.g. the sales routine done by the time-sharing gurus, etc.

I guess you could call it chemical-assisted pacification?