Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > General Conspiracy Discussion > Local chapters > Oceania
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: They can't help themselves

Do you guys think they'll give OZ a friendly and helpful terrorist color code system like here in the states?

1. Red - Really, really scary time.

2. Blue - Still kinda scary.

3. Yellow - Well, you should still think about being scared.

4. Green - It's not really all that scary, but you should take prozac anyway.

5. Pink - Chinese communists will invade.

6. Grey - Aliens will invade.

Dept. of Homeland Scariness

Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 AM

LOL,
we are to be "Alert, but not alarmed" at the threat of terror down here...all the while we are constantly reminded of the terrorist threat, bird flu, terrorist threat, bird flu etc. etc.

We've therefore only got 4 rankings, and there's no grey (yet).
Old 11-02-2005, 02:01 AM

hehe...the evening news announced that the "share market was rocked" by the P.Ms terror warning.

I would have thought that the serious investors would have been rocked a few days ago.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Howard warns of new terror threat
Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard warned Wednesday that he had received intelligence information about a specific terror threat to his country, though he refused to divulge details of the threat, citing security concerns.

At a nationally televised news conference in the capital of Canberra, Howard said releasing details of the threat would compromise security concerns.

"You will understand that there are sensitive operational matters and I cannot and will not go into further detail," he said.

"I don't want to overstate the situation, but I don't want to understate it," he added.

"I can't go into any more detail because if I do I might weaken the capacity of authorities to respond."

The Associated Press reported that Howard later Wednesday introduced an amendment to counterterrorism laws in the House of Representatives, in a bid to boost intelligence agencies' powers.

Australia's upper house of parliament, the Senate, which the government also controls, will be recalled Thursday to vote on the amendment.

The government is seeking urgent passage of the legislation, which has raised concerns over its "preventative detention" provisions and restrictions on freedom of expression.

After initially supporting the legislation, state premiers and some opposition members have expressed anxiety over the proposed laws, citing civil liberties concerns.

Howard's proposed amendment raised similar concern on Wednesday. (Full story)

Howard said he had received advice that the amendment, which is part of a larger package of anti-terror legislation, would improve the "operational capabilities" of security forces to combat the latest threat.

The terror warning also comes a day after Australia's leading spy agency, the Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO), publicly warned of what it said was the extent of the "home-grown" Islamic threat.

In it's annual report, ASIO says there are an estimated 700-800 Muslims who have expressed support for politically motivated violence.

Australia "has been of interest to terrorists every year for the last six years," the report says.

Australia has not had a terrorist attack on its soil but it is believed to be a target because of Canberra's steadfast support for the Bush administration in the United States and its sending of troops to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, was the target of a suicide bombing in September last year. Additionally, 88 Australians were killed in the Bali nightclub bombings in 2002.
Australia not under imminent threat of attack - Clark

Quote:
The Government was not given advance notice of the announcement about a possible terrorist threat to Australia, a spokesman for Prime Minister Helen Clark said last night.

"We heard through news reports that John Howard had made the statement," the spokesman told NZPA.

"At that point New Zealand officials contacted their Australian counterparts."

Mr Howard said in his announcement in Canberra that Australia had received "specific information" which raised serious concerns about a potential terrorist threat.

"I don't want to over-alarm people. I have said for a long time the possibility of an attack is there," he said.

Miss Clark said through the spokesman she could not disclose details of the information provided to the Government since the announcement was made.

"Australian officials have confirmed that there is no imminent threat of terrorist attacks in Australia," she said.

"We have also been advised that the Australian general threat level has not been raised. It remains at medium. A terrorist attack is assessed as feasible and could well occur."
I'm starting to think it's time to move to Kiwiland
Old 11-02-2005, 04:47 PM

Too many rich Americans there.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM

I seriously have a degree of moisture building in my eyes though they are NOT tears of laughter at Howards latest.

The desperation of this man is embarrassing me to the point of tears.

It is so pathetic. Just so, so, so pathetic.

This has got to be the end of any shred of credibility that Howard has had hidden up his arse.

There simply cannot be any more. The list of stuff ups and lies has been endless. With no credible opposition the "Liberal" party will stay in power all be it with Costello.

People should not bag Costello so completely. He may be the grinning Cheshire Cat but he would never lower himself to this level.

You were always a pathetic, whining establishment boy Howard...and you still are.

I wish I had a time machine. I would go back to your high school years and beat you to a pulp and strongly suggest you stick to Law where you can lie every day to your hearts content with little public over sight.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 PM

Hey, truebeliever while you are back there, how about doing something about GWBush. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Shannow wrote:
Howard warns of new terror threat
Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard warned Wednesday that he had received intelligence information about a specific terror threat to his country, though he refused to divulge details of the threat, citing security concerns.

At a nationally televised news conference in the capital of Canberra, Howard said releasing details of the threat would compromise security concerns.

"You will understand that there are sensitive operational matters and I cannot and will not go into further detail," he said.

"I don't want to overstate the situation, but I don't want to understate it," he added.

"I can't go into any more detail because if I do I might weaken the capacity of authorities to respond."

The Associated Press reported that Howard later Wednesday introduced an amendment to counterterrorism laws in the House of Representatives, in a bid to boost intelligence agencies' powers.

Australia's upper house of parliament, the Senate, which the government also controls, will be recalled Thursday to vote on the amendment.

The government is seeking urgent passage of the legislation, which has raised concerns over its "preventative detention" provisions and restrictions on freedom of expression.

After initially supporting the legislation, state premiers and some opposition members have expressed anxiety over the proposed laws, citing civil liberties concerns.

Howard's proposed amendment raised similar concern on Wednesday. (Full story)

Howard said he had received advice that the amendment, which is part of a larger package of anti-terror legislation, would improve the "operational capabilities" of security forces to combat the latest threat.

The terror warning also comes a day after Australia's leading spy agency, the Australian Security Intelligence Organization (ASIO), publicly warned of what it said was the extent of the "home-grown" Islamic threat.

In it's annual report, ASIO says there are an estimated 700-800 Muslims who have expressed support for politically motivated violence.

Australia "has been of interest to terrorists every year for the last six years," the report says.

Australia has not had a terrorist attack on its soil but it is believed to be a target because of Canberra's steadfast support for the Bush administration in the United States and its sending of troops to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, was the target of a suicide bombing in September last year. Additionally, 88 Australians were killed in the Bali nightclub bombings in 2002.
Australia not under imminent threat of attack - Clark

Quote:
The Government was not given advance notice of the announcement about a possible terrorist threat to Australia, a spokesman for Prime Minister Helen Clark said last night.

"We heard through news reports that John Howard had made the statement," the spokesman told NZPA.

"At that point New Zealand officials contacted their Australian counterparts."

Mr Howard said in his announcement in Canberra that Australia had received "specific information" which raised serious concerns about a potential terrorist threat.

"I don't want to over-alarm people. I have said for a long time the possibility of an attack is there," he said.

Miss Clark said through the spokesman she could not disclose details of the information provided to the Government since the announcement was made.

"Australian officials have confirmed that there is no imminent threat of terrorist attacks in Australia," she said.

"We have also been advised that the Australian general threat level has not been raised. It remains at medium. A terrorist attack is assessed as feasible and could well occur."
I'm starting to think it's time to move to Kiwiland
Really? Can I come with you?

Even better, how about we trade places?

You and your family can live in America, and I'll move to OZ.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Goog idea.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Australia is not big enough for us both fraterman.