Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Club Conspiracy Community > Announcements and Site News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM

hi Jimbo,

we're getting there slow but sure. the majority of it is fixed now, though im still working on the size code. i'll keep working on that though.

the only thing i noticed is that the sample post you gave me is chocablock with youtube video's which is causing the page load time to slow down. if possible it might be worth not posting so many all at once, to help those on a slower connection. perhaps in future, some could be posted as the URL to the page instead of them all opening together.

the untagged URL thing, i wasnt sure about what you meant. if you could maybe clarify that for me, so i can try and fix it too.

regarding the missing smileys, can you post the info to each inside a quote box, so i can see more clearly what i need to fix. also if i've missed anything, let me know

susie

Old 01-23-2008, 04:10 PM

No problem I can reduce on the amount of "embedded videos per page", it is just that they became so popular & that we were just assuming cable connections across the board. Is there a way to put code on the page & be able to tell whether the user has high-speed or not? That would take care of that & thus allow high-speeders get their pedal to the metal...

The untagged URLs are any URL that is not tagged (PHP nor HTML) just as
which I don’t understand why is it that in my "Ron Paul Thread" none of the them show up as actual URL, but just "text"... you could "check it out" by going into the following link...

The Official Ron Paul President 2008 Campaign Trail- Thread
http://clubconspiracy.com/forum/show...6955#post46955

... it could be because of some other "tag", such as the "SIZE" tag, which is still not fixed, is preventing them from getting activated... I think that could be it !!!

Boy, I was really surprised to see the "Google Video Tag" working... however, I don’t know if you did your "quick & dirty" PHP code fix or are you allowing also the "embed" HTML tags. Which after seeing the "Ron Paul" thread it seems as though you actually fixed them by allowing the HTML tags (either that or you editted them by hand).

Which brings me to that point...

Do you (currently) allow for both PHP code tags & standard HTML tags to coexist? If so, how do you turn ON "HTML tags". In my allowable box of "can & can’t do" goodies it seems as though HTML is turned OFF. How can you turn them ON?

You can forget about the smiley faces. I just got carried away there. I just realized that you have your own set of "sad & smiley" faces here. Why bother w/ that. We have more important things to worry about. But thanks for asking... anyway.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Susie,

Again, thanks for your efforts.

I have another request (& my last request I promise).

If you look at my profile, I downloaded a GIF picture of a “clock” which is supposed to have a “transparent” background. It used to work fine in the old CC, but here it turns WHITE. I typically turn off all of the “forced white backgrounds” on any page by going into my “Internet” ”Tools” ”Internet Options” “General Tab” ”Accessibility” & check _x_ “Ignore colors specified on webpages” This turns off any default web-page colors & allows my Internet Explorer to assume the background color that I have programmed into my “Desktop” “Properties” “Appearance”, which I typically set to a “Gray” background. Now this turns out to be the following color specification: Hue 160, Sat 0, Lum 181, Red 192, Green 192, Blue 192.

So, what shows as a “forced white background” should actually acquire my Windows User Specified Background Color, but it doesn’t.

So all I can conclude is that you are “forcing the white background” onto my “transparent” GIF image by either turning off its “transparency” property, or by just “assuming” that your “forced white background” is my chosen background, which is NOT.

This is going to be interesting, since I have contacted many organizations, including Yahoo, about their “forced white backgrounds”, like on their NEWs page, & they just don’t care. “Forced White Backgrounds For ALL” – whether you like it or not. Tell that to the guys at the “New York Stock Exchange” floor in “Wall Street” & watch them all give you their middle finger...

However, even on the Yahoo News page, I can turn off their "forced white background" & acquire my own background color by selecting the “Ignore colors specified on webpages” ”Accessibility” option. What I would prefer for Yahoo to do is to allow me to change the background color w/o having to go into my ”Accessibility” properties, which unfortunately renders some webpages useless, specially when the "coders" do not program for ”Accessibility”, which is a real "shame" on the industry.

However, Henry Makow cared, & so did www.antiwar.com (& many others). They both made sure that if the user turns off the web page colors by using their accessibility feature, that their chosen colors were not imposed onto their viewers or users.

The funny thing about this is that the computer & the software is perfectly capable of allowing any & all users select their own background colors. But it just comes down to the policy that has been set my some big shot media mogul that thinks (full heartedly) everyone should like “Forced White Backgrounds”. That will turn into more “forced” visits to their “eye doctors” & this will improve their return on investment on some medical stock they probably own, or something along those lines. It is though, completely ridiculous. Like I said, the computer can handle it. It’s been handling it since Bill Gates put out the first Windows 95 OS out there. But some people are just too opinionated & too greedy to let us choose what backgrounds we should have. Go figure...

Oh, & by the way, the reason I am asking is simply because I am one of those people that do always get a headache if I have no choice but to sit & stare at a white screen for any length of time. I hate white screens w/ a passion.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Jimbo : 01-23-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM

hi Jimbo,

the issue with the clock, is an issue with the image itself, not the forum. you might ant to try deleting it and re-adding it into your profile.

regarding the rest of the issues, the size code isnt fixable unfortunately, so im going to have to remove them from the posts in the forum, which i can do by running a script. i've to wait on word back from the boss though before i can do that, just to be sure.

regarding the old links, it may just be the format its been coded into the old forum so im not sure it'll fix itself. but maybe once the size code is removed, it might help. i'll have to wait and see once i remove that old code, to see how it goes.

ive turned on HTML on the boards, which should alow the basic html commands in threads, but not php. however, if the forum gets flooded by html in threads, it'll have to be turned off as a precaution. so hopefully people wont overuse it, and take advantage by spamming etc.

hope this helps

susie
Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM

The problem w/ getting rid of the SIZE tags is that then both the location & the size of the text will be lost.

So before running the script, I can experiment w/ the H (heading) tags, which I am assuming that if you turn on HTML, then they should work, & we can do a clean substitution between SIZE tags & Hn tags.

So if you could hold off on running your script, that will give me time to experiment & can feed back to you what a better replacement might be...

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM

hi Jimbo,

the only way to fix those tags would be to do it manually in every post. im afraid i dont have the time for that, so the only alternative would be to remove the text for the size commands in this format - [size=7] etc.

i wont remove anything though until i get the go ahead from Sanjay, but im not sure exactly what you'll be trying to do to fix it. can you explain?

susie
Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Susie,

Could you not run the script on my threads? I can fix my threads manually, but it is going to take me some time.

Apparently you can't have both vB-tags & HTML tags coexisting in the same document, so I used strictly HTML tags, & I fixed my font problem. Look at the following thread, at the last thread...

The Official Ron Paul President 2008 Campaign Trail- Thread
http://clubconspiracy.com/forum/show...6955#post46955

I replaced the SIZE tags w/ the appropriate HTML font face="font_name" size=n tag & the URL w/ the equivalent HTML & it works just fine.

So, if you could either hold off on running your script to remove the SIZE tags, or if you could just not run your script on neither my threads nor any of my posts (for that matter), then that would be greatly appreciated...

Question: My Avatar is locked. It won't take a download. Is that temporary?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Jimbo : 01-23-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 PM

hi Jimbo,

ive checked the settings for your avatar. can you check it now to see if you can upload one etc?

also, i had a brain-wave. instead of me removing the [size=7] format. what i can do is exchange parts of it, such as:

for the [size=7] - swap xx-large to "6" that should tie it in with the corect bbcode of:

PHP Code:
[size=6
unfortunately in cant run the script on certain peoples posts, its an all or nothing thing. so id not be able to leave yours out.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:26 AM

Ok.

1) That would work if you changed

Code:
    size=xx-large ---> 7
    size=x-large  ---> 6
    size=large    ---> 5
    size=medium   ---> 4
    size=small    ---> 3
2) The new problem that originated is the following.

Whenever you put in the fix for the "untagged URLs" such as for example,

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81-XQzO7yU
& after your conversion

Code:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81-XQzO7yU[/url]
NOTE: Your fix works fine for any other URLs. The problem only happens whenever the URL link contains a "youTube video URL link". The problems w/ this is that instead of converting that link to a standard URL you can click on, you are internally converting it to an "embedded YouTube tag" such as

Code:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyoZDBPvNV0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyoZDBPvNV0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
But anyhow, If I didn't loose you, you are converting the "untagged YouTube Video URL" into an "embedded YouTube URL" instead or just keeping it as a standard URL link. And the end result of this problem is that instead of just 1 "embedded YouTube Video", I am getting 2 "embedded YouTube Videos" one right after the other. The reason being is that I typically place an embedded video stream followed by the video link itself, so that they can either view the stream right there, or view it via the link (& so that they can get a copy the link).

So I guess you have to leave a URL containing an "embedded YouTube Video" URL w/o further processing it as an "embedded tag" & leave it alone as a "standard URL".

So this code,

Code:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81-XQzO7yU[/url]
should internally generate this (& only this)

Code:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81-XQzO7yU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81-XQzO7yU</a>
The reason you might have not noticed this issue before is that the problem does not show up until after I edit a page. Even if I don't change anything on the page, everything looks fine. Now, just after I hit "Save or Preview Changes" button, you process the "untagged URLs" & "bingo", that's where the problem gets introduced.

I hope I didn't confuse you (because by now I am seeing double).

Thanks.

Last edited by Jimbo : 01-24-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 AM

ok, i think i understand now lol when you type a URL, you want it to just say the text instead of it being an active link?

i think this is pretty much standard over the majority of forums. if theres a www. or an http:// part, it'll autoformat it to an active link. im not sure its that big a problem, in all honesty. its just something we'll have to live with i think.

regarding the font sizes. ill create a duplicate forum and run a test on that, rather than do it on this one, just to be safe.

susie
Closed Thread