Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Club Conspiracy Community > Announcements and Site News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 AM

Susie,

No.

A URL should be an active link.

Active URLs are not “evil”, they are the real thing. We want all of our URLs to be real “hyperlinks” to webpages, file photos, video streams, & documents across the Internet. It would be safe to say that "a webpage w/ inactive URLs is not an interactive webpage", & therefore not a real webpage.

Now, a URL that takes you to the “YouTube site” should not turn itself into an “embedded YouTube Video”. These are 2 different animals.

1) An active URL that takes you to the “YouTube Site” & displays a boxed video stream there (at the YouTube site) – this one you are converting to An “embedded YouTube URL” (see item-2 below), & it should not.

2) An active “embedded YouTube URL” embeds (or inserts) the “YouTube” video stream exactly at the place in the webpage where that “embedded URL” was placed & so it should replace itself w/ a (boxed) "windowed video stream control" right there. – this one you are processing Ok (for both YouTube & Google Videos).

Susie, I think that if we get these last few things just right we are going to be as compatible as we can possibly expect w/ the previous CC content.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jimbo : 01-24-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM

hi Jimbo

thats the size codes all fixed.

regarding the youtube thing, i disabled the media plugin that was converting the URL to show the clip. can you keep an eye on the youtube clips etc and let me know if any dont show? if they dont, it might be i have to turn the plugin back on.

test 1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ubRuI7TvkNI

(im a bit slow withn this lol)
Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM

i just noticed this code doesnt work:

PHP Code:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubRuI7TvkNI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ubRuI7TvkNI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object
but it still works inside the youtube bbcode:

PHP Code:
[youtube]ubRuI7TvkNI[/youtube
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

sorry, i just had to say that clip is too damn funny lol
Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Susie,

I am going to create a test post & make sure that the fixes also work after you post.

I can see that you ran your font size script. Things are looking good Ė really.

The only thing missing is that in my old threads none of the ďuntagged URLsĒ are becoming active. You might need to run a script to go through & tag them. But let me check first to be 100% certain thatís what we need to do.

But everything else seems to have been fixed.

Like I said, let me run some final tests & Iíll let you know whatís missing.

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Ok.

Beautiful. It's all working just fine.

Now, this is what's missing. In my old threads none of the "untagged URLs" are coming out because you need to run a script & tag them just as you are doing now after anyone posts an "untagged URL". Your code places the "[ URL ]" tags around,

Code:
   [ url ]__untagged__URL__Link___[ /url ]
If you could do that, then... I owe you.

Thank you.

Last edited by Jimbo : 01-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM

hi Jimbo,

i dont think thats possible, each URL is different, so i dont think theres any quick fix for it. as long as people can copy and paste, they should be ok, and from nwo on they'll be fixed. so for now i think its best to just leave it as is. the majority of the issues are fixed, the url one is just a minor one i think we can live with

susie
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Susie,

You canít run a script that checks for the user & only operates on their files? Like mine?

I know it might seem like a lot to ask if you were doing this for every single user, but it does not seem like there anyone in line here. And besides, we just got here. This is like the welcoming prep...

Well, if you canít you canít.

I appreciate what you did.

The world is beginning to look pale again...

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 PM

its not so much that Jimbo, im sure every post could be fixed to make the links active, but its the time and cost involved.

theres nothing really wrong with the links to justify spending the money it would cost to fix them in all 40,000 posts . though if if it was a simple fix, i'd do it in a heartbeat honest.

the thing is, each link is unique, theres no command to specify looking for the varying text. it'd pick up every bit of text on the forum. we cant single out the start of the URL and the end of it, in order to insert the tags.

from now on though, we can concentrate on future posts, and make sure theyre all ok. archived posts tend to not be referenced as much, so im sure the link thing will be fine.

take care

susie
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Default The Final Chapter

Susie,

I am not going to bother you w/ this again but here is the thing. Hear me out...

You seemed to have been able to fix the SIZE issue for multiple SIZEs w/o a problem. I don’t know how many threads you had to run that on, whether it was in the order 40 thousand threads or more, it didn’t seem to be neither a costly issue nor a super time consuming ordeal. You probably had fun doing it while providing the new "vBulletin" users w/ the satisfaction of once again having their threads come back to life again under their new forum. Ok. So far so good...

Now, to fix the URL issue:

1) All you have to do is run the “exact same algorithm” you are now running on “untagged URLs” when anyone enters a post. The “exact same algorithm”. You can just "cut & paste" it onto the same script you used to fix the SIZE issue – which I am sure is still laying around somewhere in you hard-drive. Run it on the same amount of threads you ran it against to fix the font SIZE issue, & it is not going to take a “second” longer than it took to fix that. As a matter of fact, it is going to take much less time, since “we already know what the solution is”. Now it might take a bit longer to run (& because of the size of the URLs - but a few nanoseconds more for each URL, no one is going to notice except the computer), but while you go & grab yourself a cup of "Java" on US,... the job will be completed before you even put your first bag of beautiful RAW Hawaiian sugar into your cup.

2) Now you could comeback & tell me again about not knowing how long the URLs are, but think about it, all you need to do is run the “exact same algorithm” you are now running on “untagged URLs” when anyone "Submits" a post. That is certainly not going to cause any side effects you are not already aware of.

My 2 cents.

You have already earned our admiration. So, you don't need to blow us right out of our seats w/ both of your wizardry & ingenuity... So, if you do it, don't do it because you felt guilty, ...but just because you “care”.

Thanks again.

[/OUT]
Closed Thread