FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

Default Re: Blindness - The film

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
Psychobabble.

However, when one, as yourself, refers to YOURSELF as WE, it suggests there is more than one entity within.

Yes, there ARE various entities within! That's what I just tried to explain to you. EVERYONE has more than one entity within! And everyone in the world is bipolar.

But just because one has more than one entity, aspect, trait, does not mean that they are not a Unity. Each of us is a solar system, a galaxy a universe.

And if you blaim me for me and Emma holding one another in our hearts in love, then yeah, I guess I'm guilty..

And besides, I am using the term We in the sense of the classical English usage of the Royal We. For example when the King or Queen of England issued and edict, he/she would say, "It is our decission...or we have decided."

Therefore, you should say nothing to Us concerning Our Correct Usage.

Quote:
The majestic plural (pluralis majestatis in Latin) is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, pope, or university rector. It is also called the "Royal pronoun", the "Royal 'we'" or the "Victorian 'we'." The more general word for the use of "we" to refer to oneself is nosism.[1]

The idea behind the pluralis majestatis is that a monarch or other high official always speaks for his or her people.[citation needed] For example, the Basic Law of the Sultanate of Oman opens thus:

On the Issue of the Basic Law of the State We, Qaboos bin Said, Sultan of Oman…[2]
Famous examples of purported instances:

We are not amused. — Queen Victoria (in at least one account of this quotation, though, she was not speaking for herself alone, but for the ladies of the court.)[3]
The abdication statement of Nicholas II of Russia uses the pluralis majestatis liberally, as in "In agreement with the Imperial Duma, We have thought it well to renounce the Throne of the Russian Empire and to lay down the supreme power."[4]
Another view[citation needed] of the form is that it reflects the fact that when a monarch speaks he speaks both in his own name and in the name of his function, office or status.

United States Navy Admiral Hyman G. Rickover told a subordinate who used the royal we: "Three groups are permitted that usage: pregnant women, royalty, and schizophrenics. Which one are you?"[5] This was said as the subordinate was speaking for superiors without authority, as well as in an unofficial capacity.[citation needed] Mark Twain once made a similar remark.[6]

The majestic plural is distinct from the plural of modesty (pluralis modestiae) and the author's plural (pluralis auctoris) or the inclusion of readers or listeners, respectively, the latter often used in mathematics. For instance:

Let us calculate! — Leibniz
We are thus led also to a definition of "time" in physics. — Albert Einstein
The tradition of the Royal We may also be traced to the Mughals of India and Sultans of Banu Abbas and Banu Umayyah. The "Royal We" is used to express the dignity or highest position either understood as strictly hierarchical or as referential to an alternate "higher" than ego identity. This use of the "Royal We" has been understood as totally different from the concept of its Western, or Occidental use. Western use here denotes a "Royal We" used by Kings / Queens speaking on behalf of their people.

Last edited by Leonardo : 09-13-2008 at 07:28 AM.