To install a tyrannical regime is easier than people may think. To spur people into doing tyrannical deeds is also easier than people tend to believe.
To implement tyranny, the aspiring tyrant should do as follows:
1. ‘Us’ and ‘them’: use prejudice to created dominant in-groups and inferior out-groups.
2. Obey orders: insist that all people under your wing are to obey your orders.
3. Dehumanize the enemy: emphasize on making inimical factions look less than human.
4. ‘Stand up’ or ’stand by’: suppress dissenting or opposing opinions to your own.
5. Suppress Individuality: foster the development of group identities while suppressing the individual.
Full video review of the Beeb's, Five Steps to Tyranny (including links and references)
Five Steps to Tyranny « A Phil-for-an-ill Blog