Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Club Conspiracy Community > Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM

Default PRESSURE: To Keep Up with the Joneses

We all went through that teen stage where we needed to have the latest clothing, hair style, and such. And when we would say: "well Kathy Dudelee has a new bluejean jacket, why can't I".
Of course mom would respond something like: "you don't have to follow the rest, just be yourself and dress neat, clean and decently". "You don't have to have the same thing as everyone else".
"You don't have to follow what everyone says or does". How true that rings today as an adult.

But are we "pulled in" by the advertisers, the celebrity spokespersons, and the people on your block that show off their new 'this and thats'??

Why is it that if you have a automobile that is 5 years old, we are considered (not conservative, and consumer conscious) but the one's that can't afford!!

Hmmm. Do we really need a new car every two years? Do we really need to get a whole new sound system the minute the latest one is advertised in the Sunday's sales paper?

Do we really need to buy major name brand canned carrots?

Are we "sucked-in" by the hooplah to have the newer, nicer, better, mega STUFF??

I know at times I was. I'm only human. I wanted to show my hard-earned money through a car, gadget of some sorts, clothing, dining out. And giving.

But is there other reasons?? ---RESPECT? ---GETTING THE BEST SERVICE?? ---BEING GIVEN EQUAL TIME AND ATTENTION In Consumer Matters?-as if money is no object?? --Perhaps, we didn't want people to distance themselves from us!

I think we all have been 'sucked in'. We all would like to have that feeling of being well off.

But the truth is that many americans here in the US are just a few months away from poverty level should they lose their jobs and remain unemployed for about 6, 7 months. Those new gadgets won't 'cut it'! They might have to pawn them!!!

Have you been 'sucked in' into the world of materialism, and projection of 'everything's OK'?

Are your children pressured by the pop stars, and athletes, and miscellaneous advertisements?

Everything is advertisement!! Everyone wants you to buy buy buy.

I think I'll keep my 5 year old Dodge mini van a little longer. My 4 year old 20" TV is just fine. And, keep some money in the bank. This way I can enjoy going out to a nice dinner with friends, as I dress neat and decently (like mom said), and share some laughs. (And sleep well at night.)

www.businessweek.com/1998/21/b3579105.htm

Old 04-15-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: PRESSURE: To Keep Up with the Joneses

Well GR, i reckon all this consumerism is to give us the impression we actually weild power.

I do as my boss tells me, wife/husband tells me, society tells me, i'm to scared to leave the bad relationship so i'll reward myself with a spending spree.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:57 PM

I used to be that way back in highschool. Then I went into the military and I saw the world and government as it really was; totally FUBAR'ed. :-P
:roll:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
int: :evil: :-...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM

NOHOPE. i'm just waiting for the military to start charging for the travel!

Hey! Not so far fetched...and the ammo...
Old 04-16-2005, 04:33 PM

The real reason people get caught in the constant buy cycle is the need to fulfil an excitement edge.

Advertising merely creates a want at the beginning, but after a while, bods get addicted to the allure/excitement induced by instant purchasing; espeicially credit & ebay for instance.

Buying is a thrill. That's all.

The worst thing about being a constant purchaser is you need to get rid of the old stuff once you've replaced it with new gear. Besides being in debt; being a 'hoarder' can be just as detrimental... leads to 'security/comfort possesions'.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Hey Real, you mention children and teenagers. I think they get sucked in the worst more than adults. And the thing is most of them, say 90 percent give or take a few, never grow out of it. It stays with them well past their 30's and that's probably part and parcel to why society went to shit and why we're in the mess we're in now. Hell, this probably leads back to one of Draken's or True's threads somewhere where one of em said, "Keep the sheeple pre-occupied with baubles and trinkets and they won't notice their freedom is fucking gone." Kinda like wag the dog. Maybe it was True who said it. I don't remember. :-P
:roll:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
int: :evil: :-...
Old 04-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Hey Jonk!

Tb from Perth.

Yes, you're right...it gives them the thrill...the thrill of power...perchasing power.

Beneath that excitement is the fantastic feeling that i am weilding power...pretty pointless power.

Humans become depressed when they cannot control their environment. Cannot act on their creative impulse...due to...take your pick.

Once you start to 'debug' yourself, things other than widgets and the never ending pursuit of sex start to get interesting.

You start to want to influence your environment. Start writing letters to polititions, leaflet dropping, talking with people on other subjects than the new secretaries backside.

Sex and widgets are still interesting, they're just back in proportion.

Of course the never ending stream of advertising does not help. And the never ending stream of 'corporatised' music which gives NO airtime to music that protests the system. Instead it's all about 'i want your ass bitch'...'oh i miss you baby'...'look at me i'm a gangsta nigga wid da cash, bling, bling'...the youth are being targetted big time.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
jonk wrote:
The real reason people get caught in the constant buy cycle is the need to fulfil an excitement edge.

Advertising merely creates a want at the beginning, but after a while, bods get addicted to the allure/excitement induced by instant purchasing; espeicially credit & ebay for instance.

Buying is a thrill. That's all.

The worst thing about being a constant purchaser is you need to get rid of the old stuff once you've replaced it with new gear. Besides being in debt; being a 'hoarder' can be just as detrimental... leads to 'security/comfort possesions'.
Hey there JONK!!
After I posted, I went into our local newspaper here----and lo and behold, I find an article talking about Americans and how much we spend!!
People that wage below the $50,000 scale have maybe $5,000-8,000 in the bank. Those that make $50,000+ have only $10,000 in the bank--but of course, that can go anytime if they get fired, layed-off, or off from work because of no coverage for illness.
So now, with all the hooplah talk about Social Security--and only available to baby-boomers (like me) they want to give a 'wake-up' call with these little news articles on cutting back on our expenditures.
Tough to do when you are not only keeping up with your neighbors, but your job status, the people at work, and to 'ever so' impress the boss-man!!

Glad I don't have those problems. Self-employed!!