Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Current events > Latest News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Default David Letterman; What were you Thinking?

Just when we thought we could put Sarah Palin behind us, you have to go and make a funny, that wasn't funny, but completely distasteful and catapult Palin back into the media spotlight allowing her to gain sympathizers along the way, who otherwise might not have been.

Making a joke about a 14 year old girl getting knocked up by an ADULT athlete more than twice her age is not humorous.

You can pretend your SICK joke was about Palin's 18 year old daughter, but it wasn't.

Palin's 18 year old daughter was not at the game with her.

Her 14 year old daughter accompanied her.

You knew it and WE know you KNEW it and even if you didn't know it and Palin's 18 year old daughter was with her, your joke would still be considered distasteful.

Did you, for one minute, even contemplate the affect your so-called joke might have on this 14 year old child who was the object of it?

Are you that desperate for ratings?

Last edited by BlueAngel : 06-15-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Default Re: David Letterman; What were you Thinking?

David Letterman has admitted to having sexual relationships with female employees.

He hasn't admitted to "A" sexual relationship, but to sexual relationships.

More than one.

Letterman says that it would be ESPECIALLY embarrassing for the women who had sex with him if it were made public.

Well, excuse me, but you don't think it's embarrssing for you?

What about your wife?

Is she embarrassed due to your CREEPY actions, as you refer to them?

What were you thinking?

Letterman admits affairs, claims extortion - Yahoo! News

Letterman admits affairs; claims extortion

AP – CBS 2 New York By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer David Bauder, Ap Television Writer – 1 min ago

Late-night host David Letterman acknowledged on Thursday's show that he had sexual relationships with female employees and that someone tried to extort $2 million from him over the affairs. CBS says an employee has been charged with attempted grand larceny in the case.

Letterman told his story during a taping of his show, mixing in jokes to an audience that seemed confused about what it was. He called it a "bizarre experience" that left him feeling disturbed and menaced.

In a release from the show's production company, Letterman said he referred the matter to the Manhattan district attorney's office. An investigation ended in an arrest Thursday after Letterman issued a phony $2 million check to keep the matter silent.

The network said late Thursday the person who was arrested works on the true-crime show "48 Hours" and has been suspended pending the results of the investigation. Neither Letterman nor CBS named the employee, and New York City police declined to identify the person arrested.

The late-night comic began his show by walking onstage and briefly leaning on a pillar with his back to the audience. Then he gave a monologue with jokes against frequent foils like Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin. He told his personal story after sitting behind his desk.

He said he was glad the audience was in a pleasant mood "because I have a little story that I'd like to tell you and the home viewers as well."

Three weeks ago, Letterman said he got in his car early in the morning and found a package with a letter saying "I know that you do some terrible, terrible things and that I can prove you do some terrible things." He acknowledged the letter contained proof.

Letterman said he called his lawyer to set up a meeting with the man, who threatened to write a screenplay and a book about Letterman unless he was given money. There were two subsequent meetings with the man, the last one resulting in the check being delivered.

He told the audience that he had to testify before a grand jury on Thursday.

"I was worried for myself, I was worried for my family," he said. "I felt menaced by this, and I had to tell them all of the creepy things that I had done."

"The creepy stuff was that I have had sex with women who work for me on this show," he said. "My response to that is yes, I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Yes, it would, especially for the women."

Whether they wanted to make the relationships public was up to them, he said.

"It's been a very bizarre experience," he said. "I felt like I needed to protect these people. I need to protect my family. I need to protect myself. Hope to protect my job."

Letterman mixed in jokes while telling the story, keeping his audience off guard.

"I know what you're saying," he said. "I'll be darned, Dave had sex."

It was not immediately clear when the relationships took place; Letterman and longtime girlfriend Regina Lasko married in March. The couple began dating in 1986 and have a son, Harry, born in November 2003.

CBS spokesman Chris Ender said Thursday that "Letterman's comments on the broadcast tonight speak for themselves."

It's the second set of embarrassing headlines for Letterman in four months. In June, he apologized to Sarah Palin for making a crude joke about the former Republican vice presidential candidate's 14-year-old daughter. Although there was a small "fire Letterman" demonstration outside of his studio later, CBS stood by its late-night star.

After nearly 15 years in second place to NBC's Jay Leno in the ratings, Letterman took over the top spot this summer after Conan O'Brien became "Tonight" show host.

Letterman's CBS "Late Show" has been on the air since 1993 and before that, he had a late-night show on NBC from 1982 to 1993.

Alicia Maxey Greene, a spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney's office, declined to comment.

Letterman was also the victim of a 2005 plot by a former painter on his Montana ranch to kidnap his nanny and son for a $5 million ransom. The former painter, Kelly A. Frank, briefly escaped from prison in 2007 before being recaptured.

Another alleged extortion scandal surrounding a public figure, Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino, similarly forced him this summer to acknowledge an affair.

___

AP Television Writer Lynn Elber in Los Angeles and Associated Press Writer Tom McElroy in New York contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

CBS.com - Official Site of CBS

Last edited by BlueAngel : 10-01-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Letterman wasn't married at the time of his sexual affairs with several members of his staff.

So, these women must be married, otherwise it wouldn't be an affair.

Letterman says that it would be embarrassing for the women with whom he had an affair if it were to become public.

Well, Letterman, I think you missed the boat.

Someone tried to extort two million dollars from you in order NOT to make it public.

This extortion attempt forced you to contact the DA and to confess to these affairs publicly during your show.

So, if your intent were to protect these women from the public's eye, you failed.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 10-04-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Letterman and his wife DATED for twenty years before they were married.

A little odd, don't you think?

Do you know of anyone who has dated someone for twenty years?

Since Letterman wasn't married during the time he had sex with two women on his staff, he didn't commit adultery.

He wasn't faithful to the woman he was dating, but he isn't guilty of committing adultery.

If the women with whom he had sexual encounters were married, they committed adultery and had affairs.

So, what gives?

Letterman thanked his staff, once again, for putting up with something stupid that he got himself involved with.

Letterman's extortionist threatened to write a "screen play" of all the "TERRIBLE STUFF" Letterman had done.

Letterman says wife "horribly hurt" by sex scandal - omg! news on Yahoo!

Reuters - October 5, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Comedian David Letterman said on Monday his wife has been "horribly hurt" by revelations of his sexual affairs exposed in an extortion plot against him and he apologized to staff of his popular late-night talk show.

The host of "Late Show with David Letterman" said in the taping of his Monday show that he will try to patch things up with Regina, whom he married in March after dating for more than 20 years. The two have a 5-year-old son, Harry.

"She has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that, if you hurt a person and it's your responsibility, you try to fix it," Letterman told audiences, according to a statement from his company, Worldwide Pants.

"And at that point, there's only two things that can happen: either you're going to make some progress and get it fixed, or you're going to fall short and perhaps not get it fixed, so let me tell you folks, I got my work cut out for me."

He said he was "terribly sorry that I put the staff in that position. Inadvertently, I just wasn't thinking ahead ... my thanks to the staff for, once again, putting up with something stupid I've gotten myself involved in."

On Thursday, Letterman told audiences he had been victimized in an extortion plot by a man who threatened to write a screenplay or book about "all the terrible stuff" Letterman had done. The talk show host then admitted to having had sexual affairs with women employed by his show.

One day later, Robert "Joe" Halderman, a producer for CBS news program "48 Hours," was indicted on a charge of grand larceny for seeking $2 million in hush money from Letterman. Halderman faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

On Monday, Halderman's attorney Gerald Shargel took to U.S. morning talk shows to proclaim his client's innocence and say that Letterman's version of the story was only one side.

"David Letterman didn't give his (Halderman's) side of the story, David Letterman gave what he wanted the public to know," Shargel said on NBC's "Today" show.

"He wanted to get out ahead of the story, and that's exactly what he did," Shargel said of Letterman.

Shargel said it was unlikely that Halderman would have sought to extort Letterman by taking a $2 million check, because that is not how extortionists normally operate.

He declined to detail what may be his client's defense, but added that the veteran journalist has reported on crime stories for years. "He knows all about cops and wiretaps. And to suggest that he was trapped in an extortion plot is preposterous," the attorney said.

Shargel said he looked forward to questioning Letterman on the witness stand.

Court documents show Halderman owed an ex-wife $6,800 a month in child and spousal support, and authorities have said he is deep in debt.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Mohammad Zargham)

Last edited by BlueAngel : 10-05-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM

I do KNOW OF SOMEONE who has dated for twenty years or more.

Oprah and Steadman.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Letterman had sex with two women on his staff when he wasn't married and this is worthy of an extortion plot against him?

Letterman called the DA; who, in turn, aided Letterman in providing the extortionist with a FAKE check for millions of dollars so the extortionist could be caught and prosecuted.

Seems to me there is something more going on here.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Woo Nemesis

Where is the liberal rage for Letterman's actions? I thought the NOW-types would be all over him.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
Where is the liberal rage for Letterman's actions? I thought the NOW-types would be all over him.
Letterman wasn't MARRIED when he engaged in sexual relations with two women on his staff.

He was dating his present wife at the time, but they were only dating.

Could be the reason they dated for twenty years.

Letterman wanted to be free to carry on with other women, no doubt.

Letterman didn't commit adultery, so, there really isn't anything to rag on him about YET other than these two women worked for him.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Woo Nemesis

So its no big deal for someone in a position of authority to sleep with a subordinate? Good to know.

"Hey Sally...come here. I need you to take a letter"
Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireEngineer View Post
So its no big deal for someone in a position of authority to sleep with a subordinate? Good to know.

"Hey Sally...come here. I need you to take a letter"
Like I said, Letterman didn't commit adultery so there really isn't anything to rag on him about YET other than he had sexual relations with two employees.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 10-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.