Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Unexplainable Discussions > Out of this World Discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default Aliens May Exist But Contact Would Hurt Humans; Hawkings

LONDON (AFP) – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100425/sc_afp

So what do you think?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Aliens May Exist But Contact Would Hurt Humans; Hawkings

As if Hawkings has any more of a clue as to whether or not aliens exist than my next door neighbor does, but, apparently, he knows what the outcome will be if they do exist and visit planet earth.

He WARNS that we shouldn't have any contact with them.

Huh?

He WARNS.

What shall we do?

Ignore them and, hopefully, they'll go back to wherever they came from?

Since when is Hawkings' the ET expert?

His analogy between ET's, Columbus and the Native Americans is quite strange to say the least.

Almost like he's blaming the demise of the Native American tribes on the fact that THEY made contact with COLUMBUS.

Again, huh?

Oh, I see.

If aliens visit planet earth, just don't have contact with them and they won't rob us of our land; wipe out most of the human species and send those of us remaining to live on reservations.

This is the reason that most of the Native Americans were wiped out.

They made contact with Columbus, according to Hawking.

But, what if the Aliens have contact with us?

Obviously, the same scenario as I depicted above.

Thanks, Stephen, I'll take your advice into consideration.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 04-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM

I quite like some of Stephen Hawkings theories although I think he's totally wrong about this one.

It's more likely we would attack the aliens than they attack us. We can't last 100 years without a major world war. As a race we are always killing each other over materialistic items, land or for simply dominance over another nation(s).

Hawking makes us sound like we are totally helpless but there is no doubt that few space based nuclear bombs could quite easily destroy an alien mothership regardless of how advanced they are. Unless of course they could phase out of our dimensional reality while the nuclear explosion occurs.

I personally think the reason why no aliens visit us is because Humanity has most likely from the aliens point of view have a historical reputation for extreme violence, greed and cruelty. I think before aliens visit us we need to mature more. We are just seem still too much like educated savages.

I think Stephen Hawking needs to lay off watching all those Hollywood alien sci fi movies that involve aliens killing and/or taking over the earth. It's starting to influence his thinking and not in a good way.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

One thing that even a cursory study of history shows, is that when two factions meet for the first time, unless they are reasonably balanced in technology and skill, the weaker society will be wiped out. The chances of any alien society being more advanced AND benevolent seems unlikely, since they will have had to have grown up in competitive conditions just like we have.

I agree that Hawking is probably not the best person to answer a question like that, but that is the wonderful world of science reporting these days. Most science writers don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and are just passing through on their career path.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallaciesAbound View Post
One thing that even a cursory study of history shows, is that when two factions meet for the first time, unless they are reasonably balanced in technology and skill, the weaker society will be wiped out. The chances of any alien society being more advanced AND benevolent seems unlikely, since they will have had to have grown up in competitive conditions just like we have.

I agree that Hawking is probably not the best person to answer a question like that, but that is the wonderful world of science reporting these days. Most science writers don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and are just passing through on their career path.
I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Care to back up your opinion with "scientific" facts?

Didn't think so.

Because, obviously, scientific facts about aliens do not exist and netiher do any "scientific" facts exist regarding whether or not they are more advanced than we are.

Speculation is all that exists regarding ET's.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?

P.S. Hawkings is not the best person to answer any question about ET's and neither is anyone else on Planet Earth.

Reason?

Because there isn't anyone on Planet Earth who knows anything about ET's other than what has been "scientically" speculated which does not include FACT.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 04-29-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Hyper M0derator

Blueangel, re-read FallaciesAbound's post.

"more advanced AND benevolent"
Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Escaping reality by over analytical ponderings amazingly still influences Hawkings.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superted View Post
Blueangel, re-read FallaciesAbound's post.

"more advanced AND benevolent"
I re-read it and agree.

FallaciesAbound said:

"more advanced AND benevolent."

And, your point would be?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Hyper M0derator

Well my point is your misinterpreted what he/she was saying but I'm assuming my following explanation will not be heeded.

"I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Didn't think so.

Because, obviously, scientific facts about aliens do not exist and netiher do any "scientific" facts exist regarding whether or not they are more advanced than we are.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?"

Your entire rebuttal to Fallaciesabound what aimed at questioning why he 'knows for fact' that aliens might not be more advanced than us. My point is that he never said such a thing, his "AND" was implying he thought it very unlikely that advanced aliens would also be caring and nice aliens towards us on encounter - much as Dr. Hawking is predicting.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superted View Post
Well my point is your misinterpreted what he/she was saying but I'm assuming my following explanation will not be heeded.

"I have no clue why you are of the opinion that the chances of an "alien" society being more advanced than we are is unlikely.

Didn't think so.

If, as you believe, an alien society had to grow up in competitive conditions just as we have, what makes you believe they did not prevail in being more advanced than we are?"

Your entire rebuttal to Fallaciesabound what aimed at questioning why he 'knows for fact' that aliens might not be more advanced than us. My point is that he never said such a thing, his "AND" was implying he thought it very unlikely that advanced aliens would also be caring and nice aliens towards us on encounter - much as Dr. Hawking is predicting.
I have no clue why you feel it is necessary to explain another poster's comment to me and/or respond for them, but you do.

I think FallaciesAbound is capable of responding to me and, obviously, he didn't because my response to him was "right on."

Just because FallaciesAbound said, "more advanced AND benevolent" within the context of his post, doesn't equate to my comment being wrong.

You are confused as to what he wrote, not me.

In addition, you have not excerpted him correctly.

FA stated that he believes chances are that aliens might NOT be more advanced than us.

You forgot the "MIGHT NOT BE" part of his sentence.

You excerpted:

"more advanced and benevolent."

I did not address his opinion about aliens being benevolent.

So, again, you are confused.

I asked him to back up his belief that aliens would NOT be more advanced than us with scientific fact in order to PROVE that NONE of us has a clue about ALIENS because there are no FACTS that exist regarding this species.

Please provide an excerpt wherein Hawkings' states that he believes ALIENS would be nice.

Here is the definition for benevolent:

....marked by or disposed to doing good.

FA said, in his opinion, he doesn't believe that aliens would be more advanced and benevolent.

You are so confused.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 05-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.