Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > General Conspiracy Discussion > General Conspiracy Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Exclamation Suspect Aircraft Just Sighted Over Yeovil, Somerset.

I have just sighted a suspect aircraft flying over Yeovil, Somerset.

The time was around 3.20 pm today. A passenger jet airliner with four engines was going east bound at I estimate around 2,000 feet (certainly below the cloud cover) at a painfully slow speed. It looked almost like it was coming into land. However the nearest airport is Bristol some 50 kilometres away NNE. All the air traffic I have seen in the area is high altitude, i.e. +30,000 feet, and eastbound presumably to London.

As it began to disappear from sight it banked 90 degrees to the north and appeared to lose altitude as it did so. (All aircraft lose altitude when they bank unless the pilot is skilful enough to increase his power while doing so. In fact banking steeply at a low altitude can be a dangerous maneouvre.)

The last time I saw this phenomena was some months prior to 9/11 from High Wycombe, Bucks. And again it was a pretty much identical situation with respect to direction and altitude, etc.

However you never hear anything about this in the news.

What is the explanation for this curious phenomena?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Suspect Aircraft Just Sighted Over Yeovil, Somerset.

We saw the plane too - it was very worrying. My son said that he heard at school that it was a Russian Cargo plane and that it definitely landed at the unused/emergency runway at the nearby Yeovilton airbase. Several people saw it circle Yeovilton before it came in to land. Very strange indeed.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
We saw the plane too - it was very worrying. My son said that he heard at school that it was a Russian Cargo plane and that it definitely landed at the unused/emergency runway at the nearby Yeovilton airbase. Several people saw it circle Yeovilton before it came in to land. Very strange indeed.
Thanks for the reply!

It did cross my mind actually that it may have been heading for Yeovilton. However its manoeuvres in the sky still looked a bit risky.

I also couldn't help wondering where it had flown from and if it was a cargo plane (which are the same size as a passenger jet) why it had not landed at Exeter, Bristol or Bournemouth as it would have flown over one of these airports to get to Yeovilton.

Still a bit of a mystery.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Hi, Sorry to dig up an old thread but just wandering if there was ever any further news on the low aircraft over Yeovil?
I too saw the plane, it went straight over my house and I honestly thought it wasn't going to land safely! But bizarrely hardly any of the people I spoke to in Yeovil about the plane saw or heard it.
I would really like to know why it was coming over so low and where it eventually did land, I thought perhaps it was going to Yeovilton, I'm more than sure it wouldn't have made Bristol!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Hi there
Never heard any more about it apart from the fact that it was a Russian Cargo plane and landed at the Yeovilton Airbase. I found it odd that there was nothing reported about it in the local media. I guess it will just be one of those things we never know!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 AM

It was very strange! I've just thought actually one of my neighbours is a bird handler at Yeovilton, wander if he'll share any info?!!
It really looked like a passenger plane, thats what I thought was so weird, but as I saw above Russian Cargo planes are the same size as passenger planes, maybe it ran into difficulties?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstym01 View Post
It was very strange! I've just thought actually one of my neighbours is a bird handler at Yeovilton, wander if he'll share any info?!!
It really looked like a passenger plane, thats what I thought was so weird, but as I saw above Russian Cargo planes are the same size as passenger planes, maybe it ran into difficulties?
Cargo planes are almost identical to passenger planes, all that is missing are the logos on the side.

What I find perplexing however is whether the runways at Yeovilton are large enough to take a plane of that size with its accompanying landing speed?

The aircraft at Yeovilton which is Royal Navy are all small, i.e. the type of aircraft that can land on a boat with a very short runway.

I also find the absence of the story in the media interesting which echoes my original observation in the opening thread.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM

I am most definately going to ask my neighbour when I see him, I had actually forgotten about this until a family member came over last night and started talking about it, made me recall that Sunday afternoon! I still can't believe quite how low it came over Yeovil, we are used to low helicopters with Westlands in the town so wasn't too bothered about the aircraft noise until I looked out my living room window and saw it, it was huge!

I remember at the time thinking it would be in the local paper that week but nothing at all!

Why would you think it has all been kept so quiet???
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galexander View Post
I have just sighted a suspect aircraft flying over Yeovil, Somerset.

The time was around 3.20 pm today. A passenger jet airliner with four engines was going east bound at I estimate around 2,000 feet (certainly below the cloud cover) at a painfully slow speed. It looked almost like it was coming into land. However the nearest airport is Bristol some 50 kilometres away NNE. All the air traffic I have seen in the area is high altitude, i.e. +30,000 feet, and eastbound presumably to London.

As it began to disappear from sight it banked 90 degrees to the north and appeared to lose altitude as it did so. (All aircraft lose altitude when they bank unless the pilot is skilful enough to increase his power while doing so. In fact banking steeply at a low altitude can be a dangerous maneouvre.)

The last time I saw this phenomena was some months prior to 9/11 from High Wycombe, Bucks. And again it was a pretty much identical situation with respect to direction and altitude, etc.

However you never hear anything about this in the news.

What is the explanation for this curious phenomena?
Correction to the above.

The suspect aircraft at High Wycombe was heading due west, not east.

This was away from London and away from the nearest airports. The only thing that lies in that direction is an army base on the Salisbury Plains and I don't know if they have a runway there.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstym01 View Post
I am most definately going to ask my neighbour when I see him, I had actually forgotten about this until a family member came over last night and started talking about it, made me recall that Sunday afternoon! I still can't believe quite how low it came over Yeovil, we are used to low helicopters with Westlands in the town so wasn't too bothered about the aircraft noise until I looked out my living room window and saw it, it was huge!

I remember at the time thinking it would be in the local paper that week but nothing at all!

Why would you think it has all been kept so quiet???
I actually know a pilot of cargo planes and yes, apparently they are identical planes to the passenger aircraft.

Landing a plane of that size is not easy, they are real monsters. You need to get the correct approach first, i.e. the plane has to be perfectly lined up with the end of the runway. Then you need to adjust your altitude and speed. The 'flaps' are deployed to decrease the planes stalling velocity and then an altitude appropriate to landing is obtained.

In short this does not match the behaviour of the "Russian cargo" plane at all whose behaviour was rather erratic.

To suddenly turn at 90 degrees at such a low altitude was a risky manoeuvre and I doubt this would have lined the plane up with the end of the runway at Yeovilton.

These planes are so big it is not the same thing as landing a light aircraft at Yeovil airfield which even your granny could probably do.