Go Back   Club Conspiracy Forums > Resources > Documentary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM
BlueAngel BlueAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,799
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairveaux View Post
Divorce: Until 1958 divorce was illegal in most Catholic countries. President Peron of Argentina tried to allow divorce and was excommunicated by Pius XII, a popular uprising followed and Peron was removesd from office.

Pornography: The Legion of decency was a Catholic organization that approved or disapproved of movies, no theatre would dare play movies not approved by this group as the theatre would be boycotted. This result was that many beautiful movies were produced, Ben Hur, the Sound of mUSIC, A Man for all Seasons, etc

Abortion: Abortion was Illegal until 1973 (roe vs Wade) In Catholic countries like Ireland it is still illegal, Catholic hospitals do not perform abortions, most of the pro-life groups today are Catholic. In 1958, it would have been unthinkable that abortion would be legalized, but what did we hear from the imposter Paul VI when abortion was legalized in America? Absolutely nothing!

Compare that with the actions of his predecessor 20years earlier with the legalization of divorce in Argentina.

Hope this answers your question.
Sorry, but I don't believe, as you do, that the Catholic Church had much influence in controlling abortion, pornography and/or divorce in the past and/or present as you do.

Medically, safe and sound abortions were not even developed during the time period in which you say the Catholic Church was controlling them and divorce, as far as I know it, has never been illegal; only within the Catholic Church, as you say so and I'll take your word for it even though you haven't provided any evidence.

Sounds completely ridiculous to me; your statement that the Catholic Church approved or disapproved pornographic movies.


Last edited by BlueAngel : 05-27-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 AM
judasfeast judasfeast is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 31
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

In countries where the Catholic church have a strong presence it does, or used to, have a frighteningly iron grip on peoples lives. I remember my grandmother being almost robotic in her application of Catholic morals, but this was back in the 1970's and the Catholic stranglehold has diminished since then. But their are still people who apply its teachings today, but in lesser numbers. The Catholic church is not, nor has it ever been, a healthy beast.
__________________
Osho - Priests and Politicians are the Mafia of the Soul.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Clairveaux's Avatar
Clairveaux Clairveaux is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

I saw the same things with my grandmother, aunts, etc, but they were not devoted to the Church only out of fear. I agree that they did run those countries like tyrants at times but to reject everything they stood for is also wrong.

Here is just the first page of a 3 page 1980 Time article about the Legion of Decency.

The Catholic film office and its ratings Review are no more
It is Christmas Eve 1962. Faint echoes of Silent Night twinkle through the frosty air. As Father Patrick J. Sullivan of the Roman Catholic film office recalls the scene, he is off in a small New Jersey parish hearing confessions. Suddenly he is summoned for an urgent phone call. Gregory Peck is on the line, wanting to know why on earth the church has rated his forthcoming film To Kill a Mockingbird unsuitable for teenagers. The priest explains that the ending seems to justify the sin of lying, even though it is in a good cause. As Sullivan remembers it, before Mockingbird is released, the final scene is altered slightly. The church gives the film an "adults and adolescents" rating and, later, an award.
That is how things went during the three decades when Catholicism's Legion of Decency (later the Catholic film office) exercised vast moral sway over U.S. film making—in league with Hollywood's own self-censoring agency, the Production Code Administration (P.C.A.). The church's ultimate weapon was an ungentlemanly C (for condemned) rating, a box-office kiss of death partly because U.S. Catholics used to take a public pledge at Mass, once a year, to boycott movies that were designated trash.
In the system in use till 1958, films were labeled A-l (suitable for general patronage) or A-2 (morally unobjectionable for adults); shady flicks got a B (objectionable in part for all). Thus armed, the Legion had leverage both before production and during final editing. For instance, an epilogue was added to the film version of Tea and Sympathy so the kind schoolmaster's wife (Deborah Kerr), who helped the troubled schoolboy learn about love, could allude to the guilt she felt afterward. Not till 1953 did a major studio make a profit on a movie with the scarlet letter C: that film was Otto Preminger's saucy The Moon Is Blue.
Last week the U.S. Catholic Church closed down its film office. It also ceased publication of the biweekly film Review, which since 1935 had carried unsigned critiques, as well as ratings, on 16,251 feature films. The official reason for the shutdown is financial, but the office clearly fell victim to changes in the law, public morality, the movie business and the church itself.
In the freewheeling Hollywood of the early 1930s, two Catholics wrote a moral code for the industry. It forbade not only overt sex and brutality but sympathy for any evildoers and even the very word "damn" (Gone With the Wind got a special P.C.A. dispensation). As the film industry created the P.C.A., the church created the National Legion of Decency. Soon it was hard to tell where one ended and the other began. The major studios owned some 70% of first-run theaters and refused to distribute any film that did not have P.C.A. approval. Over the next 33 years the P.C.A. gave its seal to only five movies the church had rated C. Films like the superpure Miracle on 34th Street got a B simply because a major character was divorced and unrepentant. The whole system was possible, remarks President Gordon Stulberg of Polygram Pictures, because in those years "there was still a kind of national morality."


Read more: Religion: A Scrupulous Monitor Closes Shop - TIME

Last edited by Clairveaux : 05-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
judasfeast judasfeast is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 31
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Fear plays a big part in religion! You see how vile organised religion is? People devote their lives to their "chosen" religion through fear. Religion is a manufactured conveyer belt of torture, and in my opinion all religions should be banished!
As for decency in films, I agree that a large percentage of what is made for cinema and television is overdosed with violence and porn. which is far from healthy.
I do not have a television because I saw the damage that it was doing, and the look of surprise people give me when I tell them I don't have a TV is priceless.
__________________
Osho - Priests and Politicians are the Mafia of the Soul.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Clairveaux's Avatar
Clairveaux Clairveaux is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

"I do not have a television because I saw the damage that it was doing, and the look of surprise people give me when I tell them I don't have a TV is priceless."

Right, you've figured out, but most people can't figure it out, they don't have the brains or they don't have the will. I don't think it's their fault. These people need a moral authority. Better they sit reciting the Rosary than sit staring into the flickering blue screen being programmed to buy useless junk they can't afford.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 AM
BlueAngel BlueAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,799
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasfeast View Post
In countries where the Catholic church have a strong presence it does, or used to, have a frighteningly iron grip on peoples lives. I remember my grandmother being almost robotic in her application of Catholic morals, but this was back in the 1970's and the Catholic stranglehold has diminished since then. But their are still people who apply its teachings today, but in lesser numbers. The Catholic church is not, nor has it ever been, a healthy beast.
Yeah, well, it's been a long time since the Catholic Church has had an iron grip on people's lives.

So, I suggest you get with the present.

The Catholic Church is ridden with pedophile priests.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 AM
BlueAngel BlueAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,799
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairveaux View Post
"I do not have a television because I saw the damage that it was doing, and the look of surprise people give me when I tell them I don't have a TV is priceless."

Right, you've figured out, but most people can't figure it out, they don't have the brains or they don't have the will. I don't think it's their fault. These people need a moral authority. Better they sit reciting the Rosary than sit staring into the flickering blue screen being programmed to buy useless junk they can't afford.
Sorry, dude, but most people don't sit around reciting the Rosary.

Yeah, and you're so much better than the rest of us!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
BlueAngel BlueAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,799
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasfeast View Post
Fear plays a big part in religion! You see how vile organised religion is? People devote their lives to their "chosen" religion through fear. Religion is a manufactured conveyer belt of torture, and in my opinion all religions should be banished!
As for decency in films, I agree that a large percentage of what is made for cinema and television is overdosed with violence and porn. which is far from healthy.
I do not have a television because I saw the damage that it was doing, and the look of surprise people give me when I tell them I don't have a TV is priceless.
FYI, cinema and television are not overdosed with pornography.

I have come to the conclusion that you do not know the definition of pornography.

Last edited by BlueAngel : 05-27-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 AM
BlueAngel BlueAngel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,799
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
Sorry, but I don't believe, as you do, that the Catholic Church had much influence in controlling abortion, pornography and/or divorce in the past and/or present as you do.

Medically, safe and sound abortions were not even developed during the time period in which you say the Catholic Church was controlling them and divorce, as far as I know it, has never been illegal; only within the Catholic Church, as you say so and I'll take your word for it even though you haven't provided any evidence.

Sounds completely ridiculous to me; your statement that the Catholic Church approved or disapproved pornographic movies.
Care to reply Clairveaux?

Last edited by BlueAngel : 05-27-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Clairveaux's Avatar
Clairveaux Clairveaux is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
Default Re: The 1958 takeover of the Catholic Church (rare footage)

Your absolutely correct, there was no porn and no abortions prior to 1958. At least not any significant amount. I think this can be attributed this to the influence of the the Catholic Church.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.